1.9 PD T3 Westfalia Atlantic conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mazz
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 PD T3 Westfalia Atlantic conversion

Post by mazz »

Just some photos of one of our projects we just completed, we have run a Passat 1.9 PD engine along with a flipped Passat box and cable shift gear mech, we also have replaced turbo with a PD 150hp unit along with a remap and charge cooler install, so here you are
PD 150 Turbo and hydro mount set up

Again more of the same

Hydro mounts
MV Engineering LTD
01952 581818 mveservices@hotmail.co.uk

mazz

Re: 1.9 PD T3 Westfalia Atlantic conversion

Post by mazz »

Cable shifter

The beastie

Again engine install, kicked over 50 degrees, pretty much everything in there is bespoke, we also give engine a top end overhaul for good measure

Erm more dirty bits

Gearbox bell housing before we welded up extra hole for starter

And after, no wood was used in the machining of this gearbox casing, we stripped it down, had it milled and replaced any worn bearings while we where there
MV Engineering LTD

mazz

Post by mazz »

And in action
http://youtu.be/5Ty4Nt9ea_M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MV Engineering LTD

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Hi Maz,

Interesting to see another PD install. Which parts did you fabricate and which were purchased and from who ? The cable shifter, what was that originally designed for as the cable seems to come into the mech from the engine side ?

Be interesting to hear your views on the flipped Passat box. What's the ground clearance and how big an issue do you think the angle of the shafts is ? Was the box chosen to suit the T3, in terms of gear ratios ? Be good to have some numbers eg. speed at 3k in top ;-)
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

mazz

Post by mazz »

Hi Andy
The cable shift is our own design and made to order, shifts are great, extremely precise
The Engine mounts and sump we will shortly be stocking
Gearbox is good, but it is not a cheap alternative to a rebuilt T3 box, far from it, driveshaft angle is no more than 7 degrees.
As for gearing we swapped PD box internals to shorter AFN internals, its very nice with 80 at 2600RPM, but maybe a bit to tall for a heavy van like a westy, some 500 kilo heavier than the 1300kg Passat donor car, if I did a flipped box again I would go for a shorter diff again from maybe a 1.8T.
But in short the van drives amazing, more of a motorway cruiser than one to thrash around town, power is effortless with 70 mph at around 20% throttle
MV Engineering LTD

mazz

Post by mazz »

Some more photos
Passat clocks from donor vehicle
Foriegn Auto & Supply 50 degree PD sump
Cable shifter
MK 1 version of shifter before we cut it to bits and started again
Last edited by mazz on 05 Sep 2013, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
MV Engineering LTD

mazz

Post by mazz »

Chargecooler mounted above gearbox , image is taken from right hand wheel arch
Exhaust mounting, we used stock JX parts with our own downpipe
Right hand mount
Left hand mount
Last edited by mazz on 24 Aug 2013, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
MV Engineering LTD

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

This looks amazing!
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

JamesKT25
80-90 Mem No: 12638

Post by JamesKT25 »

One of my favourite engines in my favourite car..... i had no idea this was possible... :shock:
Drives a 1986 T25 1.9 W/C petrol/LPG Panelvan

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

JamesKT25 wrote:One of my favourite engines in my favourite car..... i had no idea this was possible... :shock:

Anything is possible.........if your pockets are deep enough

thanks for sharing this Maz :ok

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

That looks really nice, having off the shelf mounts and sump available in the UK can only be a good thing :ok
you gonna have a syncro version of the engine mounts?
Last edited by lloydy on 22 Aug 2013, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

Makes a diesel man very happy. The pd is such a good engine IMHO.

mazz

Post by mazz »

The mounts work fine with both 2wd and Syncro as you can simply adjust height of engine mounts to cradle by 40mm if desired
Do you know how much lower than a stock 2wd JX the Syncro engine is Lloydy ?
And yes the PD is a nice bit of kit, it's power delivery and smoothness are superb, this van is as smooth as a water boxer on the road.
MV Engineering LTD

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I don't know the precise figure, had a quick search and people seem to mention 40mm
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

So I guess it’s about time I chipped in, I’m the very lucky owner of this Westy :D and will add to the post with all the highs and lows, feel free to ask any thing you want to know,

I will just start by saying a massive thanks to Mario and Daz from MV Engineering Telford for creating what must be one of the best T3 in the country, we have defiantly had our fair share of ups and downs and what looked like an unfinishable project is finally back in my hands.

So I bought my Westy Atlantic back in late 2011 with a semi knackered AAZ conversion and thought it’s in desperate need of a mechanical up date and after reading lots of info decided that an AFN and a rebuilt standard 5 speed box with longer crown wheel and pinion seem to be about as good as it gets, with in a feasible budget, at the time was and still is an excellent conversion choice.

So after being off work for Christmas 2011 2012 and contemplating the various issues of my pending conversion the gear box seemed to be the weakest link and I say this because I was lucky enough to have a previous bus of mine Subaru converted, I had the box re built and as anyone know who had one done they don’t come cheap, if you want to put big injectors in your tdi and remap it the poor old box is really on its upper limits of not only usability but reliability.

Buy comparison the Passat box was designed by VW to do 500,000 miles without so much of a crunch and more importantly cope with a modern tdi torque,.

So spoke to Mario who was keen to give it ago, but getting there was far from easy, To be fair I’ll be the first to admit I am a bit fussy and had high expectation and definitely wanted to keep the engine hatch totally standard, I wanted to be able to push the cruise control at 70mph and get good mpg and was also very tempted by all the benefits of a modern instrument cluster which looks awesome at night, MFA read out, fuel range average mpg next service indicator, flipped blade key, modern immobiliser system, be able to go to Volkswagen any were in Europe and have it serviced, plug it in to their computer if there any issues, the hydro mounts are something else, and as many parts as possible are off the shelf parts so should be able to buy most consumerable from your local dealer.

I know there are some sceptics out there who have reservations about the flipped gearbox and hands up they may be right, only time will tell, getting it fitted and working is the hard part, if it went bang this time next year its £100 for another one from your local dismantler delivered !

It’s all very impressive to look at all the shiny bits and I have just mot it this morning and everyone that works there was all over it, well impressed, but driving it is a whole different experience

It’s really hard to put in to words there’s so much that I like about it, but it’s weird it feels unmodified if that makes sense I’ve been in to car and vans for years and have had my fair share of modified cars and you always feel like they have been modified, some better than others, they seem to become much more of a compromise which this doesn’t, it just feels like you picked it up from a main dealer

it’s a bit like being able to ring Volkswagen direct and just order a brand new T3 its smooth and quite like a water boxer, and has two personalities drive it off boost and its effortlessly goes about its business and if you’re in a hurry it’s a bit like and I know its sound stupid but I have driven a lot of cars over the years and it was bugging me which one it was most like, but if you’ve ever drives an Audi RS6 the first time your in a hurry and the turbos spool up the fronts in the air and all that weight suddenly gone, and the scenery rushing buy seem so wrong but so right, a massive wave of torque and totally not what you were expecting, it’s not golf GTI quick it has that big car feel a bit like a big motorway cruiser.

so if you’re still not convinced, on the way to the mot centre this morning, after an enthusiastic blast down a dual carriageway I lost all power and it cut out and wouldn’t restart, expecting the worst, I called Mario and the first thing he said” don’t worry if you can’t get it sorted ill chuck some tools in my van and come straight down” which from Telford is just over 400 miles round trip so much appreciated, top bloke top quality installation and excellent after care.

Like a "idiot" I ran it out of fuel, the fuel gauge is running in reverse for the next couple of weeks Mario wasn’t able to sort it in time for this weekend and I wasn’t thinking about it being something so obvious.

All I can say is get saving, and get yours booked in, it’s awesome!!!

It totally exceeded my expectations and anyone that know me. that was never going to be easy.

I’m off to Car Fest in Basingstoke in the morning, and will be exhibiting on a VW bus stand so if your there come and say Hi.
Last edited by Kent Joker on 11 Sep 2013, 15:41, edited 3 times in total.
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic