Golf GTi Conversion - Diesel Parts or Engine Adapter?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jonnydub
80-90 Mem No: 13860

Golf GTi Conversion - Diesel Parts or Engine Adapter?

Post by jonnydub »

After deciding to convert my T25 engine to a Golf GTi PB from a 1990 MK2 Golf, I'm now looking at buying all the parts to start it. I already have sourced the engine but now I've seen a few adverts offering the whole kit for about £450 but have also been informed that there are engine adaptor plates/flywheels available from Kennedy which will do the same job for a bit less.

The main difference I can see is that the Kennedy adaptor will mount the engine at 15 degree which would require a slight engine bay raise but the other option mounts the engine at 50 degrees which will fit however will need to either buy a smaller manifold or hammer the crap out of chassis leg.

Anyone have any advice?

jonnydub

Re: Golf GTi Conversion - Diesel Parts or Engine Adapter?

Post by jonnydub »

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

You might want to consider going for a later Golf/Passat engine such as the 2 litre AGG version as this has a much smaller inlet manifold and will mount at 50 degrees (as per factory diesel) without conflicting with the bodyshell. It also has a better power output, torque curve and fuel consumption.

Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Am in Exeter and have done a few Gti conversions and helped on a few now. Kennedy plate will hammer your costinngs. Use all diesel stuff and a diesel bell housing and mount at 50'
Got my hands very full but happy to help if you need it but will be quite limited.
PB is a tw@ to get in due to inlet manifold and depending on box mount you can end up doing some serious surgery on inner panel.
Mk3 Engine is easier to fit but slightly more involved wiring wise but if you're in no rush can help during the day mon to fri as wiring is the bit I enjoy the most.
PM Me your number if you wanna chat :ok

jonnydub

Post by jonnydub »

Thanks Elvis,

In no rush as just moved house so getting back into it but yes your help would be much appreciated so will drop you a PM soon!

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Jonnydub - Those two guys (Gary & Elvis) really know their onions with these conversions.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ferraldog
80-90 Mem No: 13069

Post by ferraldog »

Hiya all, I'm in a similar position. Just bought a T25 1.6D (CS) 1983, it's more or less a running solid shell, which is in my garden (SE London). I was tempted to upgrade the engine anyway, as missus wants to take it around Europe, and no way am I doing that in a 1.6d...

Anyway, it appears that the head gasket has blown, I have oil in the coolant tank, have joined oil cooler pipes to check cooler isn't causing this, and flushed out whilst running a hose into the water tank whilst running to check - still finger blackeningly oily. That said, she was garaged for 7 years previously, so expected some internal corrosion.

So it looks like I'll be venturing down the AGG 2.0 GTi route, as it seems the most attractive option available.

Is there anywhere that there's a fools guide or a shopping list of parts I'd be requiring to do this. Any special advice you folks could offer? I'm at a juncture of confusion at the moment, and don't want to enthusiastically head off down a blind alley, to find out I've made a huge boo boo later on. This is a labour of love, and I want to get it perfect. I'd be really grateful of any pointers out there, as I'm handy with a spanner, but new to the wonderful club of owning T25.

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

ferraldog wrote:Hiya all, I'm in a similar position. Just bought a T25 1.6D (CS) 1983, it's more or less a running solid shell, which is in my garden (SE London). I was tempted to upgrade the engine anyway, as missus wants to take it around Europe, and no way am I doing that in a 1.6d...

Anyway, it appears that the head gasket has blown, I have oil in the coolant tank, have joined oil cooler pipes to check cooler isn't causing this, and flushed out whilst running a hose into the water tank whilst running to check - still finger blackeningly oily. That said, she was garaged for 7 years previously, so expected some internal corrosion.

So it looks like I'll be venturing down the AGG 2.0 GTi route, as it seems the most attractive option available.

Is there anywhere that there's a fools guide or a shopping list of parts I'd be requiring to do this. Any special advice you folks could offer? I'm at a juncture of confusion at the moment, and don't want to enthusiastically head off down a blind alley, to find out I've made a huge boo boo later on. This is a labour of love, and I want to get it perfect. I'd be really grateful of any pointers out there, as I'm handy with a spanner, but new to the wonderful club of owning T25.

You need a copy of Gary D's instructions.
I may have one somewhere.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Nope, not got a copy here or in my dropbox.

Can get you a copy on Monday.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ferraldog
80-90 Mem No: 13069

Post by ferraldog »

Thank you so so much, that'd be a thing of awesomeness :-). I can't wait to be able to contribute help and support the other way!!!

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

PM me your email address and I'll send you the files on Monday.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

Just picked up on this re-awakened thread.

I have made a few updates since I sent my stuff to Titus (May 2012 - that was a while ago wasn't it?) If you pm me your email address, Ferraldog, I will forward the latest versions. Very similar, just picking up on a few points people have mentioned.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Gary,
Can I please have a copy of the latest version.
Thanks.
TAD
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

This might just be what the doctor ordered... :ok

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

I may be selling my AGG conversion early next year as I plan to upgrade to a 1.8T engine.

These conversions are great and I thoroughly recommend them.

I am only upgrading to improve my offroad capabilities as the 1.8T has more torque (and I have a good one ready to come out of my car).

Anyone interested in a proven, sorted conversion with all the right (diesel) bits should get in touch. I've done over 5000 miles with it since June with no issues other than a leaking bellhousing oil seal (nothing to do with the engine, but annoying at the time).

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)