ABF rationalisation....

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dubmaster77
80-90 Mem No: 11369

ABF rationalisation....

Post by Dubmaster77 »

Just venting thoughts for rationalities sake I guess....

I only use my van now and then and towing a caravan on our holidays.... I'm an automotive engineering lecturer so serves as a bit of a toy too. Would like to mega squirt and stuff later just for an engineering exsersice as much as any thing.

ABF engine seems a good choice, reasonably modern, good power and torque, reasonably easy to fit, though may not go under deck, good to run on LPG. I reckon it could be done for around 1100 doing it my self... Am I deluded?
Please no trying to talk me into 2e /AGG, ABF produces plenty of torque and has top end zing
Scooby is my first. Choice but I cannot rationalise £3000 minimum? Plus anither grand for gas. Thats as much as i paid for the van.Will use more fuel than abf and dosent have the reliability?

Refurbed WBX.... No tuning potential as such, is it a time bomb, if the break they are expensive to buy and second hand ones are an unknown quantity,
Does add to the originality of the van.

Will an ABF be detrimental to the value of my van? While I'm not planning on making a fast buck it's my baby and my toy, I wouldnt want to will fully make it worth less.

Diesel has its pros but they are expensive and complicated to fit, my t4 was my first ever diesel, economy was not that great and it was slow. Plus if I do the ABF now I can swap easily to diesel later as I will have the parts..... If people figure out how too put PDs in!

Is my thinking way off?
Cheers.
Rubbish spelling due to stoopid I pad correction service!