No power to glow plugs?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

williamraff
80-90 Mem No: 11501

No power to glow plugs?

Post by williamraff »

Hi folks, my 1983 diesel van takes a few attempts to start and then misfires and chucks clouds of white smoke out when it does.

My thoughts are that the glow plugs are not doing their job? I have checked and I have a live feed coming in to the electrical box in the engine bay, the fusible link is good and there is a live feed coming out but there is no live feed showing at the glow plugs when I turn the ignition on or when the engine is running.

Am I right in thinking that an electrical test light / screwdriver should light up when touched on to the glow plug with the ignition on? If so, mine does not, does this simply mean that the relay is duff and needs to be replaced?

I have a multi - meter bit not sure how to test the relay or glow plugs with it?

One last point - I understand that the glow plug relay needs to be correct for the type of glow plug fitted, my engine has a 1V serial number and I think it might be a replacement (it also has no turbo) so should the glow plug relay be changed to suit 1V glow plugs or should the glow plugs be changed to suit the original glow plug relay?

As always, any advice is gratefully received.

Will :) .
Remember EBAY and alcohol do not mix!

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: No power to glow plugs?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

Post by Cyrus »

I need Ti check my glow plugs / relay too. Very helpful info, should be in wi
ki. Thanks

williamraff

Post by williamraff »

Thanks OBG, I have managed to test the first two glow plugs, they are showing as good but can't get the bus bar off the back two until my glow plug spanner arrives. Am I right in thinking that the last injector has to come off to get access to remove the last glow plug -it looks very tight in there?

I understand that this requires a deep, thin walled 27 mm socket - is this correct?

Thanks,

Will.

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

I found I could just get to the last one with the injector pipe removed.
1y Tin top rust collector.

williamraff

Post by williamraff »

kit wrote:I found I could just get to the last one with the injector pipe removed.

Ok, I will give that a try.

andychib

Post by andychib »

Hi I had problems with my glow plug circuit. when I trace the wiring I have noticed that terminal 87 from the glow plug relay is not going to the glow plug bus bar (I expected a 4mm cable from terminal 87 to go directly to the glow plug) I cant tell what is connected to terminsl 87 as I am unable to to remove the relay sockets to inspect what is connected. When I remove the relay I get the expected readings on terminals 85 12 volts when igniton is in first position and yellow glow lights is when relay is plugged in. The red 4 mm cable that does go to the glow plugs does not go back to the glow plug enclosure when i trace the cable it seems to be running behind the back of the engine bay and I' m not sure where it is going to. but definitely not to the glow plug relay enclosure. Im toying with the idea of making up a repeater circuit on the spare relay I have and re install a new 4mm circuit from the 50 fuse through the second relay terms 30 /87 to the glow plug. I am a bit concerned about where the existing glow plug cable is actually going to. They have worked fine for the last few years its only recently I had a problem put it in a local garage I use here in Spain and they seemed to working fine for a month or so. If I really would like to confirm that the outgoing terminal 87 should go directly to the glow plugs. Sorry if it is long a and drawn out post any help would be gratefully received many thanks.
Andy