2L 16v ABF vs 2.5L EJ25

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

StvC

2L 16v ABF vs 2.5L EJ25

Post by StvC »

Ok,so on reading lots of advice here I'm torn between cheap and reliable 2.0 16v ABF from a MK3 GTi or less reliable, more expensive but more powerful, torquier, nice sounding EJ25 Subaru 2.5 lump.

The indecision began after I bought a potential donor MK3 Golf which is basically way too good to break. It is totally sorted inside, out and underneath. Got it for a bargain and now want/need to trade down to a scrappier example much as I like it and it's ridiculous custom exhaust.

But with the value tied up in it I'm back into the RJES conversion ball park.

It will be going into a 1.6D Doka en route from Germany and I want to be able to tow a car/furniture trailer to and from Eastern Europe where we have a house.

So from CGTi I can see that the ABF lump is good for 180 bhp without too much hassle but the 2.5 scoob engine although susceptible to HGF is around 165bhp as standard and presumably has better torque. Can it be tuned much higher?

Is this the case? Presumably the Subaru lump has better MPG too as it revs less (no need to post results though as there is loads about on the forum in this area) and would be a better cruiser and tower. But if this isn't a huge difference, I'm left with little other than the wonderful boxer sound to justify the extra expense of conversion. I know about the EJ22 being more reliable but it's 15bhp behind the ABF unit from the off so doesn't seem to make sense unless I go turbo. Maybe I should not discount this option but again I thought for a towing vehicle the 2.5 would be more suitable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm looking to try and get this done by Christmas, if at all possible, so need to get stuck into things and be decisive.

What do others think?

p.s. if anyone is interested in a trade for my sorted valver, feel free to PM me.