Our camper build

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

phil miller
80-90 Mem No: 11069

Re: Our camper build

Post by phil miller »

Well tonight i decided to attack the wiring loom, there is a lot of wiring thats not needed so i started to remove it all, this is what it looks like atm
and this is what ive removed so far

got a few more to remove then i can retape it so it fits the compartment neatly :ok
1988 Matt Black, T25 caravelle, Living the dream
Wanted diesel sump and oil pick up PM me if you can help

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Due to building my new garage progress has been slow, although i did find time to make my n/s mount :D

I also met up with Kevtherev and bought a diesel starter motor off him :ok

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Right have now got the mount bolted up

i now feel like im getting somewhere, i spoke to Elvis who im gonna meet up with to look at his intercooler lay out and the like, im now off to do a little more to the loom, wish me luck lol

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Will spent half the day on her and im glad to say all up and running, ok so there isnt a box in the exhaust atm so sounds a little loud and no intercooler but the good news is im almost there, sea trials should start at the end of the week if all goes well

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

some pics of the progress
my mk3 golf battery tray

and here is the video of the engine running, why is it phones make engines sound rattley, it sounds spot on tbh, ok so no intercooler or box in the exhaust
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn85 ... 972c93.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A very good day

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

Post by Cyrus »

Just found this thread, your doing great. I had enough of a job traveling 15miles to mother in laws just to get mine on the road.
I used to find myself waking up a 3am thinking of what I needed to do next, stupid brain!

keith
80-90 Mem No: 5169

Post by keith »

Sounds good to me....
1989 Westfalia Joker TDi
Discovery 5

Couple of motor bikes

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Cyrus wrote:Just found this thread, your doing great. I had enough of a job traveling 15miles to mother in laws just to get mine on the road.
I used to find myself waking up a 3am thinking of what I needed to do next, stupid brain!

Thank you mate :ok ive had days when ive felt i havent got much done, i was pleased to hear her running, its all come together in one hit so to speak

LOL well ive spent the last couple of weeks putting off the wiring but spending evenings till gone 1am looking at the wiring diag and going thro the best way to do it that will make it look tidy and be easy to hide but easy to get to if i have any problems, the little things like where i will put the OBD plug so its easy to get at but not where it could get kicked or damaged, she is still mot'd for about a month so im gonna insure and tax her on friday, that will get me going for the last firlong lol

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

keith wrote:Sounds good to me....

Thank you Keith, i cant wait to drive her and see what shes like, still got bucket loads to do, but most of it is sorting the inside which TBH once shes all running properly i can bring her home and attack it after work save the 30 mins each way to mums

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Well today i went over and fitted the Golfs ign barrel and immb ring on the bus, extended the wiring and tested, started up first turn of the key, i need a new cluster as some one has mess with the wiring so badly i cant do anything with it :cry: ive got the exhaust box to fit and intercooler, then i can start on the inside, but for that i will be able to take her home so i wont have to travel to work on her

the immb ring all fitted

Iceworx
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 5926

Post by Iceworx »

Making fantastic progress with this mate.

What engine code is it you're fitting?

Was it a big job to wire in? and how did you go about getting the pedal box and immob ring wires up to the cab?
2006 T5 - LWB T30
www.Realgraffix.co.uk - Custom Vinyl Signs, Decals, Stickers
My T5 Conversion Blog

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Iceworx wrote:Making fantastic progress with this mate.

What engine code is it you're fitting?

Was it a big job to wire in? and how did you go about getting the pedal box and immob ring wires up to the cab?

Thank you mate, it's a 1Z engine, the wiring was fairly easy once I'd got my head round it ( I use to do a lot of Vauxhall engine swaps and the wire colours are different, so when I saw blue/green my mind was telling me oil pressure and the like lol) for the immob ring I took the barrel out of the golf and extended the immob box to loom wire so the box is under the dash an the ring wiring didn't get touched, the pedal is still in mind thought process, Tim shettle makes a plate that the potentiometer bolts to and the throttle cable goes in so you can join it that way or Dave from futbus has said about using a Passat pedal, ive got a Passat pedal in the shed so I may have a go with that, still undecided tbh, the loom tho didn't need much work in the end, I just removed the lighting wiring and other stuff I didn't need and then just added two relay blocks for the control relay and glow/pump relay, I've used as much of the standard wiring plugs as poss, I've got problems with my cluster, ie someone has been at it with a wrap and then Sellotape approach so I've got earth issues everywhere, I'm gonna run after market oil pressure, water temp and battery volt meter so I can keep an eye on figures rather than wait for a light to come on, but I do want to find a workin cluster

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Well today i drove the camper for the first time, i left mums and drove the 21 miles back home, it was a joy to drive, the gearbox must be a petrol box as she pulled up to 65mph with easy and had plenty left, the intercooler was sat inside the van and is the golf one, id got fed up of driving for a hour in total so i could work on her so as she is mot'd, tax'd and fulley insured i drove her home, so now the finer details get underway, ive got to do the following

weld a mount on the chassis for the back box
paint n/s mount
cut the dip stick tube down so the dip stick reads correctly
mount and pipe up the intercooler
replace or fix the cluster (earth/gremlin fault)
sort out rear RR and buddy seat

Drive and enjoy

racebiz
80-90 Mem No: 8806

Post by racebiz »

Glad to hear you're now on the road Phil - I look forward to having a closer look if you can make it to Devon Dub Fest :D
1988 PD130 with Viking Pop Top
Audi A4 110 TDI
3.9 EFI Rangerover

16vmini
80-90 Mem No: 9014

Post by 16vmini »

some more pics please of things mounted etc ?

just off to look at a sharan today ....

Matt
Rusty Westy : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.16vmini.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;