Our camper build

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

phil miller
80-90 Mem No: 11069

Re: Our camper build

Post by phil miller »

racebiz wrote:Glad to hear you're now on the road Phil - I look forward to having a closer look if you can make it to Devon Dub Fest :D

We will be there and your more than welcome to have a good look round her, she will be a little rough around the edges but we are working through it to get her spot on (nowhere near as tidy as yours though)
1988 Matt Black, T25 caravelle, Living the dream
Wanted diesel sump and oil pick up PM me if you can help

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

16vmini wrote:some more pics please of things mounted etc ?

just off to look at a sharan today ....

Matt

ive spent the evening emptying the back of the bus, will take a load of pics tomorrow and post them up, what are your plans for the n/s mount? if you want i can take measurements of mine or i could make a rep of mine and send it up if you want? (although it would cost a few quid to send as its fairly big)

16vmini
80-90 Mem No: 9014

Post by 16vmini »

phil miller wrote:
16vmini wrote:some more pics please of things mounted etc ?

just off to look at a sharan today ....

Matt

ive spent the evening emptying the back of the bus, will take a load of pics tomorrow and post them up, what are your plans for the n/s mount? if you want i can take measurements of mine or i could make a rep of mine and send it up if you want? (although it would cost a few quid to send as its fairly big)

very nice of you .. but i love welding so am looking forward to making mounts :) ..sad ...

just put a deposit on a AFN engine / everything else so thats my job for the coming week to go get that ...

did you remove the complete loom ? or did you just removed the front half from the car ?

Matt
Rusty Westy : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.16vmini.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

well today my diesel PCB arrived and i thought it would be plug and play (after looking on the wiki) and way it wasnt, i had to take the plug apart and put the wires in the correct place, i needed to have the indicator tell tale work for the mot, my old PCB was screwed, ive now got indicator, battery, oil all working, but will leave the rest till after the mot has been done just in case i mess it up lol

Now i took the coolant temp wire from the 1Z ECU loom and connected it to the 25 loom, red light flashes on dash for a second then goes out, i then plugged VCDS in and watched coolant temp, it went up to 80 degrees but the temp needle didnt move at all, any ideas?????

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Bus passed the MOT today so when i got in i thought it best to do something about the throttle bracket i made and thats just sat on the top, so i made a bracket, it bolts to my reworked golf battery tray and then the throttle bracket i made bolts to that, the throttle cable is in a straight line and the result is a smooth throttle pedal, and id say the pedal is as light as the pedal in my mk5 golf

just waiting for my boost hose to arrive so i can mount the cooler underneath so my engine cover can go back on :ok

16vmini

Post by 16vmini »

hmmm like that that throttle setup .. simple to do for my weekend conversion .. i was planning on mounting mine under the floor at the front connected to the pedal that way ...

but i am on a tight deadline .. so that system might work better / quicker for now ...

Matt
Rusty Westy : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.16vmini.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

16vmini wrote:hmmm like that that throttle setup .. simple to do for my weekend conversion .. i was planning on mounting mine under the floor at the front connected to the pedal that way ...

but i am on a tight deadline .. so that system might work better / quicker for now ...

Matt

Believe it or not all of the metal parts came from a 6n polo pedal box, just cut about a bit lol

Tonight i mounted my skyline intercooler as my silicon reducers and connectors arrived, so i started at about half 8 and now i have it fully plumbed in :ok

and the intercooler mounted underneath

ive got a little tidying to do for the wiring but tonight has made it so we can now start to use it as a family :ok

16vmini

Post by 16vmini »

looking good , think we just fitted one of those intercoolers to my mates classic mini ...

cant wait to do my conversion next week....

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

16vmini wrote:looking good , think we just fitted one of those intercoolers to my mates classic mini ...

i bought the intercooler as it looked like it might do, by luck its fitted and the pipes look spot on

Good luck with yours mate, if you need any info give me a bell, i did put my number on the note with the disc didnt i?

16vmini

Post by 16vmini »

phil miller wrote:
16vmini wrote:looking good , think we just fitted one of those intercoolers to my mates classic mini ...

i bought the intercooler as it looked like it might do, by luck its fitted and the pipes look spot on

Good luck with yours mate, if you need any info give me a bell, i did put my number on the note with the disc didnt i?

you did .. will send you a text so you have mine ...

did you run any inter cooler before this to get MOT etc ? as i have the sharan one at the moment , but my friend has a few intercoolers laying around

Matt

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

16vmini wrote:
phil miller wrote:

you did .. will send you a text so you have mine ...

did you run any inter cooler before this to get MOT etc ? as i have the sharan one at the moment , but my friend has a few intercoolers laying around

Matt

The intercooler was a funny thing, i used the golf cooler and pipes but had it sat up on top of the load area, inside the bus, no engine cover and high intake temps, not good, im gonna plug VCDS in to it tomorrow evening and take her for a drive, im hoping for mid to low 40s with the cooler inside and no air flow they were high 50s low 60s

give me a call or text anytime time mate :ok

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

i have no excuses other than being a slacker and very busy and not having enough hours in the day. will still try to get to hook up sometime.

on a different note- i wired up lloydys and southernsparkys tdis and have (thanks to syncroandy) schematics for converting a afn throttle pot to fully fly by wire.

mk4 golf or similar pedal and decent piece of 5 core wire and a couple of hours is all it takes :ok

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

ELVIS wrote:i have no excuses other than being a slacker and very busy and not having enough hours in the day. will still try to get to hook up sometime.

on a different note- i wired up lloydys and southernsparkys tdis and have (thanks to syncroandy) schematics for converting a afn throttle pot to fully fly by wire.

mk4 golf or similar pedal and decent piece of 5 core wire and a couple of hours is all it takes :ok

Ideal thank you mate, i understand fully, i finished work today at half 5 yet it was gone 10 before i got in the door and had my dinner lol, whenevers best with you dude, can even drive the bus down to you, be good to give her a run :ok

Matts pedal has the same loom and plug as my throttle pot, since making the bracket and having the cable nice and straight the pedal feels really light, but i do have a Passat fly by wire throttle pedal here so if at some point you could guide me thro the wiring that would be great, i will have to get a plug and bit of the wiring, so will have to visit local scrap yard :D

16vmini

Post by 16vmini »

ELVIS wrote:on a different note- i wired up lloydys and southernsparkys tdis and have (thanks to syncroandy) schematics for converting a afn throttle pot to fully fly by wire.

i just assumed its a case of extending the wires to the throttle pot ? and then mounting the throttle pot at the front ? or is there more to it ?

also i assume can run/drive without the brake / clutch switches to start with ?

Matt

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

on my 1Z i have no clutch/brake switches - just relay on brake light. put foot on throttle (neutral/handbrake on) rev to 2k and touch brake- revs drop to 1k ish. Well happy with how it drives/performs when on clutch/brake :ok

You can do away completely with the pot. extend wires from pump straight(using the pot co connector of course so its removeable and not soldered permanantly) to front of van then use a fully fly by wire (ie no pot with 4" of cable) pedal.