Our camper build

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

16vmini
80-90 Mem No: 9014

Re: Our camper build

Post by 16vmini »

ninja.turtle007 wrote:
16vmini wrote:Ps. Someone said use a passat box ? That would mean mounting engine transversely ? Would it fit ?

Matt

There has been loads of talking about flipping a passat box, but has anyone actually done it yet?

not sure first i have heard .. off to google :) i am happy to try ? assume engine would have needed to be mounted well forward .. or final drive reversing ?

Matt
Rusty Westy : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.16vmini.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

phil miller
80-90 Mem No: 11069

Post by phil miller »

max and caddy wrote:And....what are you planning to use for the n/s engine mounting bracket?

My plan is to use some 5mm thick plate for the mounting points and 1in x 1in box to join them, ive done a few engine upgrades and thats worked well in the past :ok

my OH wanted to take a look so we have just got back, best of all ive got the coolant pipe layout sorted, there was a box in the bus with some hoses in it and it seems all i have to add is a T piece for the oil cooler, Paul (owner of roose motorsport) is a good friend of mine so once ive done the coolant pipes i may get him to make copys of them in silicon, now ive gotta start on the loom but im not really in the mood to look at wires now lol
1988 Matt Black, T25 caravelle, Living the dream
Wanted diesel sump and oil pick up PM me if you can help

racebiz
80-90 Mem No: 8806

Post by racebiz »

Good to see you are moving on with things Phil - you could have given the engine a clean off before fitting it !!
When I spoke to you about flipping a passat/A4 box I was referring to the 5 speed in preference to a 6 speed as per the brick-yard link shown on Tom's post. However you are probably better off sticking to your current plan just to get on the road and be able to use your van to get to the next festival. :D
1988 PD130 with Viking Pop Top
Audi A4 110 TDI
3.9 EFI Rangerover

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

max and caddy wrote:i would find the diesel water pipes if i were you...and turbo doesnt need to be re indexed no..but how do plan on intercooling it?

ah now there lay a question ive been thinking about for a while, when i was in college we spent a while studying the effects of different length pipes and intercoolers, so my plan is very simply, both pipes will be the same length as the pipes on the Golf, the golf ones are plastic so of no use to me, the intercooler is being mounted behind the driveshaft but before the head, plenty of cold air there and i can mount it so the lower edge is still higher than the bottom of the box and sump so no issue with hitting it, ive tried to see as many different ideas on fitting this and tbh i havent really found any good solid pics, its a case of fab it up and go from there tbh

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

racebiz wrote:Good to see you are moving on with things Phil - you could have given the engine a clean off before fitting it !!
When I spoke to you about flipping a passat/A4 box I was referring to the 5 speed in preference to a 6 speed as per the brick-yard link shown on Tom's post. However you are probably better off sticking to your current plan just to get on the road and be able to use your van to get to the next festival. :D

I did mean to give it a good clean, but it will be easier for me to use the pressure washer and some TFR than use mums hose (no pressure at all), Yeah i was looking at the size and shape of a 6 sp at work last week, im fairly sure it would fit not a problem, and the gear selector altho a headache i think could be made with ease, well looking at the way it works should be easy, but may involve updating the 25 selector a little, my main worry is what the 4sp is like on the road, i dont wanna run along at 90mph but im hoping it will do 60 and be at a steedy rpm so i get good mpg

I wanna get it done so i can join you at the festivals with a 25 rather than my Golf :ok

main problem is my in-laws are coming down tomorrow so we can do the concrete base for my garage (father in-laws a builder) so ive gotta dig a 11 foot by 17 foot 6in deep hole in the garden ive barely started so i may be up at 7 doing that before i get to the 25 tomorrow

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

16vmini wrote:
ninja.turtle007 wrote:
16vmini wrote:Ps. Someone said use a passat box ? That would mean mounting engine transversely ? Would it fit ?

Matt

There has been loads of talking about flipping a passat box, but has anyone actually done it yet?

not sure first i have heard .. off to google :) i am happy to try ? assume engine would have needed to be mounted well forward .. or final drive reversing ?

Matt

Matt its the in-line passat, up to 53 plate not the new one

16vmini

Our camper build

Post by 16vmini »

So did you finish the garage base ? Any on camper ?
Rusty Westy : http://www.teamorchard.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; / http://www.16vmini.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

16vmini wrote:So did you finish the garage base ? Any on camper ?

well the garage base is well under way, the camper hmm well today i managed to collect the steel plate and box section to make the new mount and i also called in to swifts in Launceston so they can make my new turbo oil return pipe, VW done something a little strange on the sump, the adaptor that screws into the sump is 16mm into sump and 18mm where the return pipe connects, but the angle of the seating flange isnt a standard size, so swift have supplied a new connector to go into the sump and they are making the return pipe so it is flexable so it should be easy to fit, all this for £25 winner, tomorrow im gonna get the mount made and start on the exhaust, im gonna continue on with the wiring loom tonight, and fingers crossed come saturday when i collect the starter from kevtherev i can bolt it in and try to start her, my aim is still to have her running by sunday, then its just a case of making it look OEM under the hatch, will upload some pics in a little while :ok

16vmini

Post by 16vmini »

cool .. this is really making me want to do the conversion again :)

i am also tempted by those links of the passat/a4 gearbox ...
must look for a cheap gearbox to play with

keep it up

matt

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Rach has just shown me the arty pics she took last night
me walking away and little un fixing her bike
me being told to smile while im trying to work out the coolant hoses
and the last one is a lovely sight

16vmini

Post by 16vmini »

and today ? :)

Matt

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

Well today has seen a fair amount for work completed, first up i collected my oil return pipe
and here it is fitted

I then connected up all the coolant hose's apart from the thermostat one as i need to get the T3 housing (£5 from brickwerks)

also the servo pipe is all connected aswell as both fuel pipes, ive taken the measurements for the mount and this will be made tomorrow, so jobs left to do are the mount, wiring loom and exhaust, if i get good weather then its about 6 hours inc mounting the ECU and routing the loom so it looks OEM, i even managed to get the OH on the go today, she has taken the wood out so we can work out where to put storage compartments and work out how we can have 4 seatbelts in the back, but keep enough space for a decent size bed
i caught her with the camera, the wood had about 40 screws in it and i gave her a normal screwdriver to use then after an hour i gave her my gun to use (i said i didnt have my gun to start with :rofl )

16vmini

Post by 16vmini »

looking good .. lol @ OH lol

anyway .. you said you did not re-index turbo , you think its going to be ok , assume the drain is not at bottom now ?

Matt

phil miller

Post by phil miller »

16vmini wrote:looking good .. lol @ OH lol

anyway .. you said you did not re-index turbo , you think its going to be ok , assume the drain is not at bottom now ?

Matt

The Turbo drain is at about 7 o clock, and the drain has a downward slope to it, i think it will be ok as the return is sloped, will find out when its running, im sure the oil will return ok (i hope)

The OH wasnt best pleased with me, the driving wind and rain didnt help mates and she doesnt like her pic taken at the best of times :pimp