New seats

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fox McIntyre
80-90 Mem No: 3364

New seats

Post by Fox McIntyre »

Got in from my mates workshop a few hours ago, thought I'd share this with you guys..

Toyota MR2 Mk2 seats :) Will get some nicer pics tomorrow but you get the idea..

Were fairly easy to fit, and the best thing is that the headroom is un-affected if not increased over the stock seats.

Handbrake access is the same if not better than the stock seats-

And these have adjustable lumbar support and adjustable bolsers on the sides.
Required a bracket bending on the seat runners, but are the perfect width to bolt down through the rear holes in the factory runners with some distance pieces.

Thought I'd share this all with you as a sporty alternative to Saab seats or whatever :)

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Re: New seats

Post by texasuk »

Interesting stuff, thanks for the post. I would love to see how to do it as well, something for the Wiki perhaps?

I would like to change to some nicer seats, but I don't fancy the Saab ones I've seen and they weigh just over a metric ton each. Would be good to have a guide to what seats fit in quite easily, if anyone has the knowledge.

*I'm sure I will be pointed to a load of obvious threads that I've never seen now, which would be a good thing

Fox McIntyre

Post by Fox McIntyre »

I could quite happily/easily make a post up to go in the Wiki on how I did it. I'll get better pics and do a writeup. Seems these seats are cheap enough on ebay and also, very light! :)

Fox McIntyre

Post by Fox McIntyre »

Right, some better pics and a little explanation if anyone wants to wiki this for me or whatever you do to get it in there.

General overview. These are very dark blue. They do look good with the blue rear seats though :) They sit quite nicely in the cab.

Rear mounts were easy, bent the tabs up slightly (literaly a few degrees) and opened up the holes in the factory VW runners to 8.5MM. Slide nuts down the runners and with a large thick washer and a suitable length bolt (so it doesn't bottom out in the factory runner) pull the Toyota runners together slightly (doesn't affect the seat operation) and bolt them down.

Outer front mount required bending flat, then fitting with spreader plates through the arch and a slight spacer. Despite appearances the mount is still strong, it was very hard to bend but do-able with a big pair of vise-grips. If I could have been bothered I could have cut the mount at the corner and drilled a new hole in the flat section but this seemed easier at the time and is satisfactory to me. You don't notice that its been bent when its all in place.

The inner mount required either a block made up and welded in (my choice but is fairly rushed) or cutting 2 bits of box or tube to use as 'washers' to allow the bolt to sit at the right angle through the seatbox with the mount.

And there you have it! super comfy but supportive sporty seats :)

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

OK, thanks, done, but we shall have to copy this whole thread to the Tech Archive sometime in the future, to make sure it stays permanently linked..

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/In ... ront_seats

Look very good seats for a T25
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

bootscooter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bootscooter »

Brilliant stuff, I've been collecting the half-leather MR2 seats since seeing this and will be fitting 4 of them in my Doka. Will update when I get started (when I've finished the Bay).

The Reverend Pimp Daddy
80-90 Mem No: 3275

Post by The Reverend Pimp Daddy »

I like that steering wheel.What is it and where from...PLEASE...lol

choplee
80-90 Mem No: 8091

Post by choplee »

They do sit and look good as cab seats... Not sure where mine came from ,but i feel they are to high compared to my last t25 .They got very deep bases on them,so hard to get into cab and slide legs under steering wheel ...

bootscooter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bootscooter »

I'll probably get told off for this, but as I'm now selling my Syncro Doka (wife's impending redundancy), I've also got 5 Half Leather/Alacantara MR2 seats that are no longer required, if anyone fancies this conversion.