Theory behind the F1 halo

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Re: Theory behind the F1 halo

Postby 937carrera » 07 Oct 2018, 20:19

nicq wrote:
You don't need traction control all sorted with active diffs

I thought the active diffs were varying the torque to the wheels left / right, rather than being permitted to limit the total amount of torque being delivered to the wheels. ( I remember the RB being a bit of a handful at one of the rounds earlier in the season with the ERS power delivery being a bit brutal. )

Or is that what Ferrari were doing recently and their recent drop of form is as a result of a clarification confirming the interpretation of the regulations.

Don't worry if you can't say :wink:

I actually thought today's race was quite boring, with the exception of Red Bull action. Even just after his second incident I predicted Vettel would still get 6th, unless Kimi let him by. I wonder just how significant that 5 second penalty was for Max in the end ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
937carrera

80-90 Mem No: 16333

Postby nicq » 07 Oct 2018, 21:10

You're right but if one. Side loose traction the revs increases so software locks the diff gently bringing both wheels to the same speed, increasing traction.
2.1 Twin slider
nicq

80-90 Mem No: 10290

Postby Mr Bean » 07 Oct 2018, 21:23

Well as it happens I lost interest in downhill ski racing post franze klammer when the safety fences went up and in F1 when they got all secretive about the engineering design and as in many other sports got the big buck boys involved. Of course it needs to be exciting but if I wanted to see people taking terrible and pointless risks I would watch something like base jumping on YouTube. Although did I see that WOS wrestling is back on TV soon? Another thing I won't be watching.

So no splitty owners got a view on the effect of the halo then?
Mr Bean
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
88 Leisuredrive Hightop 2.1 WBX
Mr Bean

80-90 Mem No: 5485

Postby lloydy » 08 Oct 2018, 15:49

ive watched it for many years, and used to go to the british gp every year (costs too much now) i actually still enjoy watching it, it will never be perfect, races will be boring, some will be exciting. i would actually say the racing is a lot closer now than in the past, Schuey/Hill era everyone else got lapped up to around 5th place. Go back to the so called golden age of Moss/fangio and cars were lapped multiple times.
Ferrari have screwed it up this year, but Hamilton is just at another level.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you
lloydy

80-90 Mem No: 5262

Postby Ian Hulley » 08 Oct 2018, 20:55

After the Grosjean accident where Alonso ended up with tyre rubber across his helmet and the pre-season crash when Alonso's car ended up upside down in the scenery the halo was inevitable. We want to see competition, not carnage … and if it does happen we need to see everyone going home at night. We watched Senna die and Roland Ratzenburger that May bank holiday weekend in Imola and we don't need anymore avoidable deaths.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure
Ian Hulley

80-90 Mem No: 1323

Postby silverbullet » 08 Oct 2018, 21:09

I couldnt agree more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_P ... ller_Years

A lot of progress has been made but what's the point of it anymore?

Talk of technology feeding into road cars?Lotus had "Active ride" in the 1980's (it was banned pretty quickly) and how many cars have anything like that now? Almost none!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Ian Hulley » 08 Oct 2018, 21:22

silverbullet wrote: A lot of progress has been made but what's the point of it anymore?

Talk of technology feeding into road cars?Lotus had "Active ride" in the 1980's (it was banned pretty quickly) and how many cars have anything like that now? Almost none!

The Williams Hybrid Technology created/developed the KERS system with BMW, a type of which powers most petrol/battery hybrid cars, most cars have ABS (taken off F1 cars) the IBS or ESP or whatever stability systems we have on our cars came from the active traction control on F1 and rally sport, active tyre pressure sensors came from and are still on F1. So what DID the Romans ever do for us :lol:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure
Ian Hulley

80-90 Mem No: 1323

Previous

Return to General Chat