Any MOT testers out there tonight?

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Any MOT testers out there tonight?

Postby RCN » 26 Sep 2018, 19:43

Have a specific MOT question for a tester.
O/S/F sidewall has about 16mm in length of cracks along it.
Cracks overlap but do not join up - in which i would then call it a cut
some cracks are 2mm wide across
rest of tyre is heavily "checked" but i noticed these cracks as it was on the bottom with all the weight on it

Is this an MOT fail? Looking on line it mentions about tread wear and exposed cords but nothing to deep about sidewall damage

MOT was done 7 days ago and we just bought the car from used car place saturday
they did not do MOT, they have a place they regularly use
if nothing else it should have been an advisory. there were none at all
also: all tyre pressures low. this tyre was 21psi ,( others around 6 psi lower then should have been) when it should have been 32 psi. wouldn't this affect brake testing and headlight aim?
going to contact dealership and inform but feel i should also be calling VOSA too
can i take it to a garage i trust and re MOT it and what would happen if they found faults or even failed it?
any advice appreciated
PS: if you have MOT regs about this in writing i'd love to read it too
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.
RCN

Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire. 1990 1.9L Petrol DG Automatic
80-90 Mem No: 9776

Re: Any MOT testers out there tonight?

Postby dsa » 26 Sep 2018, 20:23

I am not an mot tester but under consumer rights act any faults in this short time would be judged to have been there when you purchased the car take it back and ask for a new tyre a perished sidewall not safe. With the tyre as you say you would have expected an advisory at least but hard to prove as the cracks could just have opened up as the car started to be driven after the mot. soft tyres would not affect headlamp test or brake test unless completely flat.
PS
Vosa are no more it's now DVSA Driver and vehicle standards agency if you did find any serious defects you could contact them but its hard to prove unless a car is checked straight away after the test if it was me I would go back to the garage and get them to fix any faults under your consumer rights they are obliged to fix any non ware and tear defects in the first six months you will find all this information online.
dsa

80-90 Mem No: 3186

Postby kit » 26 Sep 2018, 20:59

You don't know if the garage changed the tyres from the ones that were on the car for the MOT?
1y Tin top rust collector.
kit

80-90 Mem No: 4170

Postby Ian Hulley » 27 Sep 2018, 19:21

Exactly, the MOT is an 'at that moment' test, which is why it never claims to be a statement of roadworthiness.

Any tom foolery could have occured ... I knew people who had 'MOT tyres' and swap them off again straight after. Was the test done by a garage selling the vehicle ?

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure
Ian Hulley

80-90 Mem No: 1323

Postby RCN » 28 Sep 2018, 09:22

No test was done by the same place they take all their cars.
Just remember. If women don't find you handsome , they should at least find you handy.
RCN

Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire. 1990 1.9L Petrol DG Automatic
80-90 Mem No: 9776

Postby davidoft1 » 28 Sep 2018, 15:40

Unless you can see the cords they aren’t a fail, tyre pressures aren’t part of the Mot , the tyre pressure would not particularly effect braking readings or have much bearing on headlight aim, wouldn’t bother with vosa, there’s nothing to interest them in those issues
davidoft1

80-90 Mem No: 16628

Postby itchyfeet » 28 Sep 2018, 16:26

For peace of mind put it in for an MOT then if there is more that's been hidden you can take it up with the seller.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby clift_d » 28 Sep 2018, 17:00

Silly question, but I'm assuming you've verified the age of the tyres by checking the DOT code? Cracking doesn't sound like something that would happen except with tyres that are really old, unless of course it's not cracking , i.e. a malicious cut.

Tyres up to 5 years old from date of manufacture are generally taken as fit for use. With tyres older than five years mean it is advised to make regular and thorough inspections. By the time tyres are ten years old they should have been replaced.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro
clift_d

80-90 Mem No: 11695

Postby 937carrera » 28 Sep 2018, 17:28

itchyfeet wrote:For peace of mind put it in for an MOT then if there is more that's been hidden you can take it up with the seller.

That's a good idea, but as soon as the tester logs the vehicle in they will see it's just been MOT'd. OP will have to be straight with whoever he takes it to, engineers reports are much more expensive than MOT's. :!:

OP should read here
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/your-rights-if-something-is-wrong-with-your-car
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
937carrera

80-90 Mem No: 16333

Return to General Chat