Me banging on about brake lights - again !

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Me banging on about brake lights - again !

Postby Jim San » 01 Sep 2018, 15:13

I'm even more at a loss based on what I just found out.

Test drove a used car, a 2010 Passat which has an electric handbrake. It also has hill assist - I'd never driven a car with this feature.

Putting aside that a mechanical handbrake is my preference any day - IT WAS BRILLIANT!

You stop - it applies a brake.
You drive away - it releases it once you move forward. (little bit of extra rev needed but nothing crazy)
I tried it on a really steep hill near me and it held perfectly and made hill start a p.o.p.

I'm not assuming every car 2010 on wards has this system - but it is pretty common place now - SO WHY do people not take their bloody foot of the pedal and move it to a position ready to press the go pedal??

:?:
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Re: Me banging on about brake lights - again !

Postby silverbullet » 01 Sep 2018, 16:17

Because they haven't got a scooby flippin doo?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Swebby » 01 Sep 2018, 16:41

Never truly trust the auto brake thingy. Need something I can pull ;)

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG with pop-up wine rack
Swebby

80-90 Mem No: 16589
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Postby silverbullet » 01 Sep 2018, 17:50

I really like the Mercedes foot operated parking brake, especially for a hill start.
Find the bite point, pull the dash handle to release *thunk!* and you're off.
Something to do with the demise of manual transmissions as drivers are now conditioned to become mere operators...?

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby syncropatrick » 02 Sep 2018, 07:23

Jim San wrote:SO WHY do people not take their bloody foot of the pedal and move it to a position ready to press the go pedal??

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you watching every drivers foot position, or are you referring to brake lights remaining on?
WANTED: A T25 double glazed plastic window, in any condition.
syncropatrick

80-90 Mem No: 5294

Postby itchyfeet » 02 Sep 2018, 09:32

you can avoid brake lights but not pulling up close and using your sun visor
Stupidly bright headlights however there is not much you can do.

Its not even straight on that they are usually bad its when you are to one side as it seems they are allowed as much light as possible towards the kerb and down but the morons who decided that was a good idea didn't think of inclined roads, corners roundabouts or 3 lane motorways where you get blinded in your mirrors.

Its all about a pissing contest my lights are better than your lights so I must be better than you.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby mister scoops » 03 Sep 2018, 14:54

Hill hold brakes only stay on for a certain period of time, around 5-6 seconds I think.
They are there to assist you pulling away, not to replace the handbrake.
Der Blitzen Sphincters VW Club
Weston-s-Mare

1991 VW Vanagon GL Westfalia
mister scoops

80-90 Mem No: 16693

Postby matt brighton » 03 Sep 2018, 18:27

mister scoops wrote:Hill hold brakes only stay on for a certain period of time, around 5-6 seconds I think.
They are there to assist you pulling away, not to replace the handbrake.

Correct

I have an e class auto merc with very bright brake lights and if its in D (rive) and at standstill you need to hold it on the foot brake (blinding the driver behind) or put it into N and apply handbrake on... to stop it creeping forward...

If someone is behind me at a set of traffic lights at night or waiting for more than a minute at a junction I do take it out of D and put the handbrake on out of consideration for the eyes of driver driver behind.

I do think headlights are more of a bother and danger TBH though..
Last edited by matt brighton on 04 Sep 2018, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
matt brighton

80-90 Mem No: 8092

Postby Dollytony » 04 Sep 2018, 13:54

The Passat (not sure about 2010 but definitely 2012 onwards) in Autohold mode will keep the footbrake applied when you come to a stop without the need to operate the electric handbrake or have your foot on the brake once you have come to a complete stop. While in this mode it will keep the brake lights ON. It will hold in this mode for along time, eventually it will activate the handbrake for you at this point the brake lights go off.

If you are using the autohold mode in a Passat & probably most other VW/Audi etc cars you will be sat at traffic lights with your brake lights on, even though your foot is not on the brake. :roll:
1981 Westfalia Poptop now EJ25 Powered
Dollytony

80-90 Mem No: 14086

Postby Dubworth » 05 Sep 2018, 09:01

Exactly how my wifes 2014 Smart car operates, hold on foot brake at the lights, you then have several seconds hill-hold to get on the throttle, all the while, brake lights on. Makes using the handbrake somewhat a long-winded alternative.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF
Dubworth

80-90 Mem No: 16562

Postby Jim San » 05 Sep 2018, 17:39

Dollytony wrote:The Passat (not sure about 2010 but definitely 2012 onwards) in Autohold mode will keep the footbrake applied when you come to a stop without the need to operate the electric handbrake or have your foot on the brake once you have come to a complete stop. While in this mode it will keep the brake lights ON. It will hold in this mode for along time, eventually it will activate the handbrake for you at this point the brake lights go off.

If you are using the autohold mode in a Passat & probably most other VW/Audi etc cars you will be sat at traffic lights with your brake lights on, even though your foot is not on the brake. :roll:

Well I never even considered that (I didn't jump out and check the brake lights had gone off - I quite wrongly assumed they would go off because my foot was no longer pressing the brake pedal).
In my opinion this is a serious design fault when considering other road users. Brake lights are a signal to the drivers following that you are slowing down or stopping, they are not needed one stopped.
Also agree with above point - dazzling headlights are more of danger

Jim San

Postby Jim San » 05 Sep 2018, 17:42

syncropatrick wrote:
Jim San wrote:SO WHY do people not take their bloody foot of the pedal and move it to a position ready to press the go pedal??

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you watching every drivers foot position, or are you referring to brake lights remaining on?

Brake lights remaining on. Lines of cars waiting at red lights with the brake lights blazing. It's unnecessary and in my opinion very annoying

Jim San

Postby syncropatrick » 05 Sep 2018, 19:00

Yeah, bright lights are a pain.
But, the ease of driving with the newer cars that hold brakes on and lights for a minute or two with a touch of the footprint is lovely.

I also drive a very low convertible where my eyeline is same height of modern cars’ lights from and rear. I’ve learnt to adjust my mirrors to avoid being blinded from behind, and don’t get too close to cars in front, of let someone overtake so they can be blinded.
WANTED: A T25 double glazed plastic window, in any condition.
syncropatrick

80-90 Mem No: 5294

Postby Jim San » 05 Sep 2018, 19:08

syncropatrick wrote:Yeah, bright lights are a pain.
But, the ease of driving with the newer cars that hold brakes on and lights for a minute or two with a touch of the footprint is lovely.

I also drive a very low convertible where my eyeline is same height of modern cars’ lights from and rear. I’ve learnt to adjust my mirrors to avoid being blinded from behind, and don’t get too close to cars in front, of let someone overtake so they can be blinded.

I can see the attraction of the holding brake, it stops people from rolling back etc - but totally disagree with holding the brake lights on - even more so for a minute or two!. Once stopped, unless you are going to move again within a few seconds, brake lights should be off.

I used to drive a low 2 seater, I remember sitting there are brake light eye level on many occassions :lol:

Jim San

Return to General Chat