Dangerous driver

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Re: Dangerous driver

Postby captain Byrne » 10 Jul 2018, 17:10

Jeff J wrote:
captain Byrne wrote:
Jeff J wrote:How much distance do you consider a safe distance from a cyclist to be? It's difficult to make a realistic comment with out details of road conditions & traffic flow. I would have thought those would be details the police would need in order to condemn the driver. If we go by the pic. then it looks like you were about 60cm from the kerb which I would have thought gave a safe distance for the bus to pass if you had moved over.

It's definitely not up to the cyclist to 'move over'. How the hell do you know what's rearing up you backside. The Police have recently started a campaign instructing drivers to give at least 1.5m distance between the vehicle & the cycle. Sorry Jeff but your assertion that if I'd have moved over to give the bus 60cm is ludicrous. You obviously don't ride a bike.

Please re-read my post especially the second sentence. 60cm plus 30cm equals 90cms I still think it would put you a safe distance from the bus & you could have avoided what you perceived to be a dangerous situation. Have you never swerved when driving a car to avoid another road user or animal that made a mistake. The police campaign you mention must be rather limited as I have never heard of the 1.5 metre advice, it would be nigh on impossible to follow on the roads in the area I live in. This is not a criticism but surely you have a need to ride defensively when the situation arises.
p.s the last cycle I road had a mirror so that I knew any danger approaching from the rear. They seem to be unfashionable nowadays.

Sorry Jeff I don't buy your argument. You seem to be suggesting that 90cm from the kerb, regardless of where the cyclist is positioned is ample distance for a vehicle to pass, and that I should reposition myself as vehicles pass me. It is up to the driver to pass at a safe distance, not rely on the cyclist to take evasive action if the vehicle passes too closely. I hope I don't come across you on my bike rides.
The image show the guidelines issued by the police.

1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.
captain Byrne

80-90 Mem No: 7107

Postby itchyfeet » 10 Jul 2018, 17:54

He's just swerved to avoid the policeman :rofl

Sorry I should not joke about this.

I have to agree if you are not straddling the central white line on most roads there is not enough clearance, I see loads of vehicles overtake a bike and not even put a tyre over the central white lines becuse there are cars coming the other way

Typical lane is 3.6m wide and the average car about 2m, a person on a bike say 0.75m wide so if you don't stradle the white line it's no where near enough space.

If you see a bike coming towards you and a queue of cars trying to overtake pull over to the kerb on your side to help them pass, I see sometimes a big queue of cars trying to pass a bike and all the traffic coming the other way makes no effort to give them space their side.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby skysurfin09 » 10 Jul 2018, 19:01

When you pay Vehicle Excise Duty then you can protest. Cyclists who ride miles away from the curb or suddenly move out to avoid pot holes are at risk of being hit by motorists. It doesn't help your [cyclists] cause when you ignore the highway code and jump red lights, when you undertake and blame lorry drivers and van drivers for the accidents this can inccur, or when groups of you decide to pretend that you are in the Tour de France and ride in a huddle thinking that you are in the peleton. Get a life and ride safely and according to the road conditions most drivers do no go out looking to knock cyclists down but sometimes you are your own very worst enemy.
It's road designed to get people from A to B NOT AN ADVENTURE PLAYGROUND for pseudo race cyclists or budding off- roaders, we've enough to deal with with girl racers who think that they little car is invisible and boys who are certain that the are the greatest drivers in the world because they
A}. Drive a little imported jap motor
B}. Own a pocket rocket with hugely wide wheels with the lowest of low profile tyres
and
C}. Own the biggest, loudest sound system that plays no recognisable form of music and matching exhaust

Get over it or put your training wheels back on.

Just saying...... :rofl
'89 2.1 injected (Digijet)...travelling in hope over adversity
skysurfin09

80-90 Mem No: 2820

Postby captain Byrne » 10 Jul 2018, 19:17

skysurfin09 wrote:When you pay Vehicle Excise Duty then you can protest. Cyclists who ride miles away from the curb or suddenly move out to avoid pot holes are at risk of being hit by motorists. It doesn't help your [cyclists] cause when you ignore the highway code and jump red lights, when you undertake and blame lorry drivers and van drivers for the accidents this can inccur, or when groups of you decide to pretend that you are in the Tour de France and ride in a huddle thinking that you are in the peleton. Get a life and ride safely and according to the road conditions most drivers do no go out looking to knock cyclists down but sometimes you are your own very worst enemy.
It's road designed to get people from A to B NOT AN ADVENTURE PLAYGROUND for pseudo race cyclists or budding off- roaders, we've enough to deal with with girl racers who think that they little car is invisible and boys who are certain that the are the greatest drivers in the world because they
B}. Own a pocket rocket with hugely wide wheels with the lowest of low profile tyres
and
C}. Own the biggest, loudest sound system that plays no recognisable form of music and matching exhaust

Your van doesn't happen to be white does it? Festooned with St. Georges flags and written in the grime on the back 'I wish my wife was this dirty'

Last edited by captain Byrne on 10 Jul 2018, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
captain Byrne

Postby silverbullet » 10 Jul 2018, 19:17

silverbullet wrote:Pedestrians, equestrians and cyclists have THE RIGHT to use the roads without impediment.
Motorists are granted the privilege BY LICENSE, that's why they have to take a test etc etc
This doesnt however give the former group the right to hog the roads or be rude/selfish or be otherwise obstructive to the latter.
100kg of unprotected flesh and bones (plus a bit of metal tubing) does not have much chance against 1600kg plus of sound insulated metal, glass and plastic at any speed.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Just in case you missed it...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby skysurfin09 » 10 Jul 2018, 20:02

Your van doesn't happen to be white does it? Festooned with St. Georges flags and written in the grime on the back 'I wish my wife was this dirty'

Moron.

So now you want to make it personal.. My bus is white and it does have a St Georges flag on it and that makes me moronic? I suppose yours says watch out for cyclists and that makes you an upright thinking individual does it?
skysurfin09

Postby captain Byrne » 10 Jul 2018, 20:11

skysurfin09 wrote:Your van doesn't happen to be white does it? Festooned with St. Georges flags and written in the grime on the back 'I wish my wife was this dirty'

Moron.

So now you want to make it personal.. My bus is white and it does have a St Georges flag on it and that makes me moronic? I suppose yours says watch out for cyclists and that makes you an upright thinking individual does it?

Your attitude is moronic. The colour of your van & the flags thing was an educated guess.
Love & peace man.
captain Byrne

Postby R0B » 10 Jul 2018, 20:14

Any more name calling and i will be removing this thread.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby skysurfin09 » 10 Jul 2018, 20:30

Your attitude is moronic. The colour of your van & the flags thing was an educated guess.
Love & peace man.

Well at least you didn't call me a racist too, but why don't you say something bad about my mother too people like you are amazing you disagree with something and label it moronic. I hope that you keep taking the tablets....HUGS AND KISSES
skysurfin09

Postby captain Byrne » 10 Jul 2018, 20:37

Apologies Rob, no more from me, but this is a serious issue, and to be goaded into a response by someone who obviously has an issue with cyclists was the last straw, especially after I was nearly knocked of my bike. It just goes to show how little respect cyclists have to a lot of drivers.
Cyclists, regardless of whether or not they wear Lycra, ride two abreast or are just pottering around minding their own business are extremely vulnerable. It's easy for drivers to lump all cyclists together as lane hogging, light jumping idiots. We are not all like that, and even if we were, so what. It doesn't mean you have carte blanche to treat us as a nuisance and an obstacle getting in your way, so you skim past them at 60mph. I just want my fellow road users to appreciate how difficult it is for cyclists to travel safely in an environment geared towards cars and not bikes. After all, pedestrians, horses & cycles were on roads a long time before cars were. Give us some room!
captain Byrne

Postby R0B » 10 Jul 2018, 20:45

Personally, i think we should all be more respectful to each other no matter what we drive or ride.It costs nowt.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby tobydog » 10 Jul 2018, 20:50

skysurfin09 wrote:When you pay Vehicle Excise Duty then you can protest. Cyclists who ride miles away from the curb or suddenly move out to avoid pot holes are at risk of being hit by motorists. It doesn't help your [cyclists] cause when you ignore the highway code and jump red lights, when you undertake and blame lorry drivers and van drivers for the accidents this can inccur, or when groups of you decide to pretend that you are in the Tour de France and ride in a huddle thinking that you are in the peleton. Get a life and ride safely and according to the road conditions most drivers do no go out looking to knock cyclists down but sometimes you are your own very worst enemy.
and

Rob?

From the film 2001

http://quotegeek.com/quotes-from-movies ... ssey/2190/
Knowledge is power
1970 CU
tobydog

80-90 Mem No: 6484

Postby Swebby » 10 Jul 2018, 20:51

R0B wrote:Personally, i think we should all be more respectful to each other no matter what we drive or ride.It costs nowt.
Hear hear

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG with pop-up wine rack
Swebby

80-90 Mem No: 16589
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Postby skysurfin09 » 11 Jul 2018, 06:34

tobydog wrote:
and

Rob?

From the film 2001

http://quotegeek.com/quotes-from-movies ... ssey/2190/

Your absolutely right Tobydog, as soon as I clicked on your link I realised that,
A}. I shouldn't have put my threepence in as I let my dislike for cyclists on roads surface and
I should take a 'chill pill' and relax a little and not let 'it get so far up my nose that I can feel his boots on my chin.

Cap'n Byrne I apologise unreservedly mate and Ermie see I can play nice too.. Sorry everyone :oops: :oops:
skysurfin09

Postby ermie571 » 11 Jul 2018, 06:49

So I should bloody think - Next time its the naughty corner for you!
:D

xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle LPG / DG carb
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG
ermie571

80-90 Mem No: 2129

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat