Dangerous driver

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Dangerous driver

Postby captain Byrne » 08 Jul 2018, 16:40

Went for a bike ride yesterday & was overtaken by a vintage bus carrying a wedding party. The bus was travelling at about 40mph and came within about 30cm of my right arm as it passed me. The pic is a screengrab taken from a camera I have on the back of my bike.
All I can say is that if I'd have had a wobble or hit a pothole I'd have probably ended up under the wheel of that bus. I can't stress how important it is for drivers to give cyclists a wide berth when passing them.
I've reported the incident to police along the footage, so hopefully they'll be in a little bother.

1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.
captain Byrne

80-90 Mem No: 7107

Re: Dangerous driver

Postby itchyfeet » 08 Jul 2018, 17:40

I'm not saying this is right but I regularly get motorbikes passing me only 30cm from my vehicle in traffic
push bikes too.
seems its ok when it suits them.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby captain Byrne » 08 Jul 2018, 17:47

itchyfeet wrote:I'm not saying this is right but I regularly get motorbikes passing me only 30cm from my vehicle in traffic
push bikes too.

I'd like to see a T3 getting mangled under the wheels of a push bike with it's occupants crushed to death..
captain Byrne

Postby Goldfeesh » 08 Jul 2018, 17:48

itchyfeet wrote:I'm not saying this is right but I regularly get motorbikes passing me only 30cm from my vehicle in traffic
push bikes too.

Had that with a bike today, my beetle Speedo said I was doing 85 (it over reads, probably about 70) and a bike came flying past on the central white line. It must have been doing a ton.
Goldfeesh

Postby captain Byrne » 08 Jul 2018, 17:54

No offence guys but the post is about drivers nearly killing cyclists. Motor bikes are not cycles.
captain Byrne

Postby itchyfeet » 08 Jul 2018, 18:09

captain Byrne wrote:No offence guys but the post is about drivers nearly killing cyclists. Motor bikes are not cycles.

yeh sorry I thought that was a motorbike

I do give cyclist a wide berth in trafic but often find them riding past very close on the inside in slow moving traffic.
They should stop behind if the gap is less then they would like a vehicle to give them.

I had a bus overtake me once on a b push bike then when not even past me indicated and pulled into the kerb
I had to stop quick of be crushed.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

Postby Jeff J » 08 Jul 2018, 18:13

How much distance do you consider a safe distance from a cyclist to be? It's difficult to make a realistic comment with out details of road conditions & traffic flow. I would have thought those would be details the police would need in order to condemn the driver. If we go by the pic. then it looks like you were about 60cm from the kerb which I would have thought gave a safe distance for the bus to pass if you had moved over.
Last edited by Jeff J on 08 Jul 2018, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff J

80-90 Mem No: 13853

Postby itchyfeet » 08 Jul 2018, 18:16

30cm is to close at any speed.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

Postby captain Byrne » 08 Jul 2018, 18:20

itchyfeet wrote:I had a bus overtake me once on a b push bike then when not even past me indicated and pulled into the kerb
I had to stop quick of be crushed.

Yep, I've had that happen to me a couple of times & had to jump of my bike to avoid being crushed.
As with drivers, there are some terrible cyclists, especially those who seem to think it's their divine right to ignore traffic signals. I guess my point is, if you don't ride a bike you don't realise how vunerable you can be, especially when a huge bus or lorry hurtles past too close. It doesn't take much, bit of a wobble or a pothole & that's it.
captain Byrne

Postby captain Byrne » 08 Jul 2018, 18:24

Jeff J wrote:How much distance do you consider a safe distance from a cyclist to be? It's difficult to make a realistic comment with out details of road conditions & traffic flow. I would have thought those would be details the police would need in order to condemn the driver. If we go by the pic. then it looks like you were about 60cm from the kerb which I would have thought gave a safe distance for the bus to pass if you had moved over.

It's definitely not up to the cyclist to 'move over'. How the hell do you know what's rearing up you backside. The Police have recently started a campaign instructing drivers to give at least 1.5m distance between the vehicle & the cycle. Sorry Jeff but your assertion that if I'd have moved over to give the bus 60cm is ludicrous. You obviously don't ride a bike.
captain Byrne

Postby itchyfeet » 08 Jul 2018, 18:37

I did have to pass a bike closer than I'd like on Satuday
narrow road and they were riding two abreast, they were given the opertunity to go single file but didn't.

I passed slowly but really they should not be riding like that on.a narrow road
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

Postby silverbullet » 08 Jul 2018, 18:42

Pedestrians, equestrians and cyclists have THE RIGHT to use the roads without impediment.
Motorists are granted the privilege BY LICENSE, that's why they have to take a test etc etc
This doesnt however give the former group the right to hog the roads or be rude/selfish or be otherwise obstructive to the latter.
100kg of unprotected flesh and bones (plus a bit of metal tubing) does not have much chance against 1600kg plus of sound insulated metal, glass and plastic at any speed.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby captain Byrne » 08 Jul 2018, 18:52

itchyfeet wrote:I did have to pass a bike closer than I'd like on Satuday
narrow road and they were riding two abreast, they were given the opertunity to go single file but didn't.

The reason cyclists ride two abreast is not just cos they want to have a chat about the weather. They will ride primary (take a more central position in the road), because they feel it would be dangerous for drivers to overtake them because the road is too narrow. They are not being rude, they're just trying to protect themselves from idiot drivers who try & squeeze past.
captain Byrne

Postby itchyfeet » 08 Jul 2018, 19:27

captain Byrne wrote:

The reason cyclists ride two abreast is not just cos they want to have a chat about the weather. They will ride primary (take a more central position in the road), because they feel it would be dangerous for drivers to overtake them because the road is too narrow. They are not being rude, they're just trying to protect themselves from idiot drivers who try & squeeze past.

sorry don't agree these were chatting on a straight road
there were 20 or so cyclists spread out and they all fell into.single file except these two
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

Postby captain Byrne » 08 Jul 2018, 19:33

itchyfeet wrote:
captain Byrne wrote:

sorry don't agree these were chatting on a straight road
there were 20 or so cyclists spread out and they all fell into.single file except these two

Fair point, I guess if everyone else filed in then they should have too.
captain Byrne

Next

Return to General Chat