Any RC pilots on here?

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Any RC pilots on here?

Postby kevtherev » 06 Jul 2018, 22:59

I just bought a little micro.
A Grumann Wildcat.
It has As3x (stabilisation) so I can fly it in a breeze.
A nice little plane with great detail
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
2.1 DJ on pierburg + LPG
kevtherev

80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: Any RC pilots on here?

Postby Fritz » 06 Jul 2018, 23:07

I may have mentioned in the past that I still have a selection of 1/8th scale R/C Motorcycles and Sidecars which suited me after retiring from the real thing over 20 years ago.

I never got into the planes coz the chap at our local model shop used to take great delight in fleecing us every Saturday after the previous nights crash damage was paid for after racing 1/10 scale Buggies and F1 cars.

Enjoy,,,,,

Regards,

Fritz,
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....
Fritz

80-90 Mem No: 380

Postby Winchweight » 06 Jul 2018, 23:17

Yeah. Flew most things including jets. Now mostly drones but I still have a nice P47 Thunderbolt with a 4 stroke motor and a little leccy aerobat.
www.thelittleredbus.com

VW 2.1 WBX DJ Syncro Doka
VW 1.9 TDi AHU Syncro Camper
Winchweight

80-90 Mem No: 12697

Postby Cobra88 » 07 Jul 2018, 06:41

Nice Wildcat Kev

Does the gear retract too?
Rick

80-90 Mem No: 16481
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Postby kevtherev » 07 Jul 2018, 18:01

Cobra88 wrote:Nice Wildcat Kev

Does the gear retract too?
Rick

No it just unclips.
2.1 DJ on pierburg + LPG
kevtherev

Postby Mr Bean » 08 Jul 2018, 14:23

Yes started off with solid chuck gliders, three and eleven penny Kiel Kraft kits etc (it was the somewhat larger KK Senator which really clicked it for me), then carried on more unless continuously through RC until a colleague and I got on a two person project just before my retirement to design, build and fly 2M span drone launched by a bungee track, flying by way point satellite navigation and down streaming live video. How good was that finishing up in a job almost perfectly aligned with your hobby? Currently plate spinning on various non aeromedeling projects but when I get around to it I have in mind something big and light using my CNC foam cutter on Dow Floor mate Blue Foam. Possibly a giant Albatross (bird) slope soarer with the possibility of ornithopter capability once commissioned. Got a loft load of models but never get the time to fly them :roll: . Strangely enough I have no interest in ready to fly rotating wing aircraft or those off the shelf drones so popular today. I guess it comes with the patina of age and the nostalgia re dope and fuel. I used to mix CI engine fuel in my shed and couldn't understand why the fumes made my ears go pink. Until I learned in later that the anti-knock additive which I bought from the local industrial chemist supplier was used by certain other types for much different purposes :oops:
Mr Bean
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
88 Leisuredrive Hightop 2.1 WBX
Mr Bean

80-90 Mem No: 5485

Postby lodgey62 » 10 Jul 2018, 19:11

Built a Keil kraft super 60 when l was 14yrs old,worked on a local Farm to buy some second hand gear then Bikes and birds came along and my RC interest was shelved though the model is still in my workshop 42 later,it WILL fly one day!!!!!
1989 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9 petol
BMW R1200 GSA (proper motorbike)
lodgey62

80-90 Mem No: 14256

Postby shaky » 11 Jul 2018, 10:15

I got back into RC a few years ago.... As a kid in the 70's I flew control line and balsa RC planes. I
converted my old scalectrix controllers into "round the pole" airplane flying...

I grew out of it but since the arrival of the new generation of RTF park flyers I've got back into it. (They are at my mothers house so shush don't tell the wife). My mother lives by the local stray so I can go out on a evening when I visit if the wind drops. It is a nice relaxing way to end the day as the sun sets.

I would love to have more time and fly some more serious stuff and get into the CNC foam cutting stuff and electrics etc... The modern technology sounds really good... but I haven't the time, space to fly (Or the income).

1980 1.6CT Devon Moonraker
+ assorted Capri's & imps
shaky

80-90 Mem No: 9032

Postby kevtherev » 13 Jul 2018, 10:23

I'm looking at buying that blue high wing plane.
Have you flown it yet?
2.1 DJ on pierburg + LPG
kevtherev

Postby shaky » 13 Jul 2018, 12:54

kevtherev wrote:I'm looking at buying that blue high wing plane.
Have you flown it yet?

Yes, and it is pretty stable and a good way to go from 3 to 4 channels. (flying it after the calm 3 channel champ can be quite scary as 4 channel is much more responsive).

Its flight time is not very long though - 5 mins at best and it doesn't like wind. The gyro stabalisation is really good for numpties like me but when its windy odd unexpected things happen and it can look like its see-sawing its way around! I guess that it is gyro trying to correct. I've not crashed it yet but nearly have a few times!

My favourite at the moment is the Radion. I fly it high into the sky as the sun sets, power off and just let it glide around.
1980 1.6CT Devon Moonraker
+ assorted Capri's & imps
shaky

80-90 Mem No: 9032

Return to General Chat