A tragic introduction

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Re: A tragic introduction

Postby Porkscratching » 06 Jul 2018, 13:34

It sounds to me like you've got a decent garage. So many of these places can't turn down work and end up over committing themselves and guess who ends up paying the price. As for the engine I always thought I'd replace mine with a 1.9 but after 360k km I went for a rebuilt 1.6. It may not be the fastest but it's averaging 40 mpg and it gets mee there. If I wanted to get somewhere quick I wouldn't be in a Brick. Anyway, let's hope it doesn't come to that, its not a given.

Sounds like you're very stoical, me thinks you'll be getting to Portugal come what.

Regards,Max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely.
Porkscratching

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby Smcknighty » 07 Jul 2018, 20:42

Mine overheated on the trip home, turned out to be due to slipping belt which was due to slipping bolt that puts tension on via the alternator. Survived though, the 1.6 is a tough old bugger. Might be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smcknighty

80-90 Mem No: 14436

Postby D34dR4bb17 » 28 Jul 2018, 12:52

Well they're working through it. Looks salvageable. So far the head has been machined and is off for testing. I think they did something about the valves, said they had been leaking for some time, so was building up to a catastrophe for a little while. Obviously a new head gasket. They can't guarantee how much permanent damage has been done, but they seem to have enough faith in the old 1.6 to feel its worth the work.

I mentioned about fitting an oil cooler, and there response was these engine get seen running quite happily in the Sahara, so not worth the money.

We're currently trying through Austria atm, so we feel a little disconnected from what's going on. Hopefully when we get back it will have been brought back to life.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
D34dR4bb17

80-90 Mem No: 16516
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Postby kevtherev » 28 Jul 2018, 15:09

Hmm I didn't think you could skim diesel heads?
2.1 DJ on pierburg + LPG
kevtherev

80-90 Mem No: 2264

Postby Smcknighty » 28 Jul 2018, 19:19

Not meant to, can, might find out it doesn’t work. I think it’s a clearance thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smcknighty

80-90 Mem No: 14436

Postby 937carrera » 28 Jul 2018, 19:33

How much is being taken off, what effect will that have on the compression ratio, what's the original and new static piston to head clearance, is that acceptable.

Those are questions the rebuilder should be able to answer.

Best answer is that it isn't an issue because a thicker head gasket is being used to cancel out the effect of the skim.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
937carrera

80-90 Mem No: 16333

Postby D34dR4bb17 » 29 Jul 2018, 05:08

Yeah good question, I wouldn't know to be honest. He said it was practically nothing, as the head hadn't warped much. From memory, I dunno, I think he did an 8th of a mm.

They rebuild engines all the time, and everyone I bump into locally who has an old camper highly recommends them, so we'll see I guess.

D34dR4bb17

Postby Wilber » 29 Jul 2018, 09:10

Sorry to hear your woes with your engine.

I have a full Diesel engine, albeit in bits, which you can have for free if thou can arrange collection from
Near Reading.
1983 Westfalia PopTop 2.1DJ
1986 T25 Trailer
1989 Doka 4.6 V8
1989 Sika 2.0 AGG
Wilber

80-90 Mem No: 6051

Postby D34dR4bb17 » 30 Jul 2018, 19:22

Hey Wilbur,

Wow that's very generous of you, that might not be a bad shout. Reading's not too much of a stretch for me, I'd just have to work out when I could get up to you.

What's the history of the engine, is it a 1.6 jx?
Wilber wrote:Sorry to hear your woes with your engine.

I have a full Diesel engine, albeit in bits, which you can have for free if thou can arrange collection from
Near Reading.

D34dR4bb17

Postby D34dR4bb17 » 09 Aug 2018, 21:47

The van is back, and running well. Been to work and back today with no problems, that's a 40 mile round trip.

So this is how the week has gone...

Vanless, I started flicking through the paperwork Tuesday night. Like some love sick puppy! Started flicking through the car radio manual, even though I had no van. Pretty sad. Then, tucked amongst the pages of the radio manual, all folded up neatly, was a receipt. Unlike all the other paper work which was all laid out flat and together, this receipt was not just for an oil change or turbo service, nor was it a boring old MOT certificate. No, this was a receipt for an engine head replacement carried out a mere 5 years ago. Hmm

Keeping my anger under control was I admit a little tricky. It would be an understatement to say I did not sleep well that night.

Why didn't he tell me? I asked a million questions about the engine, the answers were; "never let down", "100% reliable", "it's taken me to the alps and back", "only ever had to service it", "the oil drip is nothing, it has basically never loses any oil", "starts first time every time", "never needed any major work". Surely having the engine head replaced would normally be a positive selling point, unless of course he knew that either the engine head repair had not gone well, or he had the engine head replaced to repair an underlying problem (the oil leak that started a year earlier based on the MOT history) and that had not solved the problem. Either way I guess he did not want any questions as to why he had that work done, so he hid it away.

Seeing as the van's engine head blew up on me on the first day of having it, leaving me stranded for over an hour in the boiling hot sun, and that it's spent over a month at the garage, finding this receipt was a bit of a blow. It was a sad sign that the van was not the van I was sold, more on that later, but also that I totally bought this guys story. He completely misrepresented the history of the van, and this is important. When buying a van privately you basically give up most of your rights, however there are couple under the sale of goods act that remain. Legally the seller must:

Accurately describe the second-hand car. For example, an ad must not say 'one owner' when the car has had several.

Not misrepresent the second-hand car, ie tell you something about it which isn't true. For example, if it’s been in an accident, the owner mustn't tell you it hasn't.

So I called the AA legal team, and told them my story. They absolutely sure that I am well within my rights to ask for a full refund, or at the very least negotiate some form of compensation to cover the repair. On that basis I reached out to the seller, and have explained the situation of how I came to find this receipt, why did he not tell me, and have proposed a simple refund of £1000 to cover the cost of the repair. I did not know at the time that the repair would actually cost £1189! So far he has simply messaged me back to say that he will respond as soon as possible. So not all out war yet. I think I'm being more than generous here.

That all happened yesterday, and it was in the late afternoon that I received the call that the van was ready. So I knocked off work earlier, and literally flew over to the garage.

OK, so if you've kept up with me so far here's the technical part of what actually the engine needed doing to it. The garage, which were amazing, explained the engine had not been running right for some time, and this is a summary of what they had to do...

Strip engine
Hone bores
Rebuild cylinder head
Replace 6 worn valve guides lap valves and reshim valve clearances
Recut No 3 exhaust seat
Replace damaged No 3 valve springs
Replace valve stem, oil seals, and camshaft seal
Refit with new cambelt and tensioner

I don't understand most of that, but I know it's more than just swapping out the head gasket.

The other thing I learnt this week is that I have a lot to learn about all the hidden problems of an old VW van. I thought, as with the engine, that the body work was not too bad. Actually, I thought apart from the odd dodgy repairs, it was pretty good. Turns out out the rear left wing is mostly fibre glass and bodged filler. On the surface it looks ok, but from behind, which is obviously made easier if you have a garage with a lift, apparently it's pretty bad. However nothing that can't be repaired, something this garage does all the time. On the flip side the underneath apparently is unusually good, and they were impressed with how original the interior was. So it's not all bad.

Although I hate to say it I guess the moral of the story is trust no one, even if it's a 77 year that's recently suffered a stroke!

Will try and get pictures up as soon as possible.
D34dR4bb17

Postby weimarbus » 10 Aug 2018, 07:17

I have to say that if he was that devious and concerned about hiding the receipt, he would have torn it up and not passed it on. But it is good to hear that you now have it back and it is running well. Hope you get some camping in this season :ok
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's
weimarbus

80-90 Mem No: 10165

Postby multisi » 10 Aug 2018, 08:14

Has the garage that has fixed the head problems told you to bring the van back to them after a certain mileage ?
1992 red lle 3.3 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon 2.2 subaru
multisi

Postby Fun. » 10 Aug 2018, 14:26

Glad you've managed to get up and running, welcome to the club, I'm new on the journey of t25 ownership too, feels great though :)

Good luck now you've got it back on the road!
_
Water Cooled 1983 Petrol T25
She's had 21 previous owners, I'm no. 22
She's now named Daisy
Fun.

Postby D34dR4bb17 » 10 Aug 2018, 15:05

You're not wrong, why keep the receipt at all. Or why wouldn't it be a big selling point on a van of this age that you'd had this work done. I'd love to know why he said that he literally had no engine problems at all in the nine years he's had it, when 5 years ago it had this work done. Maybe he kept the receipt out when I first went to see the van, and then stuck it in the radio manual when I went to pick it up so he could say "well all the paperwork was there, not my fault you didn't see it!" if I got any future problems. He also said the cambelt had been done last year, but had not receipt to show that, which I thought was a bit odd. I dunno, who knows why some people do what they do.

All I know is when asked he never mentioned it, and I don't think it's any coincidence that out of all the paperwork the one piece of information that was neatly folded up and hidden away just so happened to be directly related to what blew the engine up the day I picked it up.

Yep, the garage told me many times when I went to pick it up, bring it back after 1000km. So mustn't forget that.

But, it's good to get the van home, and start making it our own. Off to Deal next weekend, so that'll be it's first test.

My wife has changed her mind now from naming it smokey to phoenix, as it's practically risen from the dead, but I reckon every T25 has earned that badge at some point in it's life!
D34dR4bb17

Postby T25Convert » 10 Aug 2018, 22:16

Tricky this, I can see why you'd be angry and upset.

However, you bought a van that hadn't run for 18 months. You now want him to cough up £1k towards your bulls because be missold it.

Do you have any written proof of what he said, or is it all verbal? If verbal, not worth Pershing as it's him vs you.

Secondly, he has an easy defence - clip broke, as you didn't perform adequate checks on a van that hadn't moved in 18 months, that overheated it and boom, there's the warped head.

Thirdly not all the work done was due to the head warping, so he would be well within his rights to offer only a percentage of the money, on the basis that the rest was additional at your discretion.

This isn't meant to sound harsh as tall, although you may feel it does. All I'm suggesting is that unless he coughs up the cash no questions asked, I suspect this will cause you more heartache and stress than you may get return from it.

It's will grate terribly, but if you can I'd let it all go, it's fixed and if it only cost £1k then that's not too bad compared to many of the tales that pop up on here.
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle
T25Convert

80-90 Mem No: 7819

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat