There and back again

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

There and back again

Postby newbiebry » 26 Jun 2018, 20:44

Over a long weekend our new van has managed more than 700 miles (including a 25% hill!) with barely a hiccup on our first trip away to Penzance! We had a fantastic weekend and had a great time getting to know the newest member of the family!

Lessons learnt:
Do not jet wash - vents and side windows do not like it one bit!

Curiosities:
We sat pointing downhill for a long time in queuing traffic running on LPG. When switching to petrol to get back up the hill on the other side no petrol found its way to the engine... a quick scramble back to LPG and a few hundred metres on the flat and everything was back as it should be... I suspect gravity drained the fuel hoses whilst the nose was downhill? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Is it just me or do tow trucks and low loaders appear to hang around our T25s like vultures?!

It was great to see so many other T25s on the road, and the generally cheery owners inside! We were the orange and white hightop if anyone spotted us down that way!

1985 1.9 DG Bilbo’s hightop
newbiebry

80-90 Mem No: 16844
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Re: There and back again

Postby matt brighton » 27 Jun 2018, 06:08

Good - isn't it ...

Something you can't do or experience in any other kind of vehicle :ok
matt brighton

80-90 Mem No: 8092

Postby Mocki » 27 Jun 2018, 06:20

Curiosities:
We sat pointing downhill for a long time in queuing traffic running on LPG. When switching to petrol to get back up the hill on the other side no petrol found its way to the engine... a quick scramble back to LPG and a few hundred metres on the flat and everything was back as it should be... I suspect gravity drained the fuel hoses whilst the nose was downhill? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

so, let me get this right, you were swapping from LPG to petrol because there was a hill??
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
Mocki
Membership Admin

80-90 Mem No: 428

Postby Mr Bean » 27 Jun 2018, 06:22

Not my experience:
Called (THAT FIRM) and was promised recovery at 17:55 for my T25 High Top camper and 16 foot boat on trailer - got the chap to repeat this to me in view of previous experience . 17:55 ETA not good but par for course I guess. Updated to 20:50 with apologies. Then at 21:15 received a call from the recovery driver to say he was going to take my van to a service area to see diagnose the problem - no mention of boat! No one told him about the boat and he said wasn't qualified/licenced to tow boat behind low loader type vehicle. After a series of heated conversations between (THAT FIRM) and contractor boat left coned but unlit on hard shoulder to be picked up on a second trip. Both van and boat eventually recovered to home address by another rig arriving home after midnight at 01:30hrs. I make that circa eight hours! I might be looking around at alternative recovery firms at renewal time...
:oops: :( :rofl
Mr Bean
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
88 Leisuredrive Hightop 2.1 WBX
Mr Bean

80-90 Mem No: 5485

Postby itchyfeet » 27 Jun 2018, 06:39

when switching to petrol from LPG I set to run on both until the engine falters becuse it's rich and then switch to petrol only, it takes a few seconds to pull fuel through, it never used to so I think I have a pin hole air leak before pump which allows the petrol,to drain back to the tank ( I changed pipes recently I think it's this)

A pin hole air leak is not normally a fire hazard becuse the pipe is under vacuum before the pump so no petrol leaks out.

Yu should not need to change over to petrol to get up a hill, if you find petrol is more powerful then your LPG is set wrong ( lean) and that can damage your engine, get it adjusted.
My LPG is actually more powerful than petrol, I only switch to petrol becuse it starts easier but thats another adjutment that can be done I just have not got around to it.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby newbiebry » 27 Jun 2018, 09:11

Absolutely the best way to travel!

Thanks for the LPG advice - it will make it up a hill on LPG just with nowhere near as much pull as the petrol... an LPG service is on the list of very short term jobs so I’ll get the shop to take a look. I’ll also add fuel hoses to the list and see if the problem reoccurs!

Bean- sounds a pretty terrible experience! Glad you made it home though!

1985 1.9 DG Bilbo’s hightop
newbiebry

80-90 Mem No: 16844
What is the fourth number in this list?: 209

Postby Dubworth » 27 Jun 2018, 09:15

They really are great vans :) As with any ageing vehicle, pro-active maintenance is key, and never cheap out on any parts that it needs, this will hopefully keep you off the back of said low-loaders and keep you cheery also :)
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF
Dubworth

80-90 Mem No: 16562

Postby itchyfeet » 27 Jun 2018, 09:21

most of us buy from Brickwerks

if you get somebody else to change fuel pipes I reccomend suppying this yourself
modern petrol is 10% ethynol and you need top quality pipe that will take it.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/fuel-hose- ... 5-5mm.html
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Return to General Chat