Another average day owning an auto VWT25?

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Another average day owning an auto VWT25?

Postby maxstu » 18 Jun 2018, 19:02

What a day....
Finally collected van from bodywork company after approx 38 days...they originally guestimated 10-12 days. And a morale crippling £2.7k bill with it :oops: Thats another song of misery too.
Under two miles from shop van runs out of petrol. The tight barstewards. Upside is girlfriend is following me before heading to London, and l have an empty petrol can. Aha!
35 minutes later I'm back on the road again and mood is beginning to lift... 8) beautiful sunny day in the garden of England behind the wheel of my now less so rusty camper.
Visit sister in Canterbury for a natter and van refuses to restart. Usual starter motor associated issues l assume and contently live with....soon have her running. No chance this time. Not turning just clicking. Auto version so no push starting. Breakdown cover time. I now find my mobile phone is missing. Back to sister's house and borrow phone to ring mobile. Its rings but no answer Perhaps its on silent mode and inside van? Contents of van spewed over sissy front lawn. NOTHING! Im effing well effing had it up to here with effing everything childish stance takes over me. Calming down lm driven around retracing my steps and after 3 hours eventually find phone back at bodywork shop in grass by entrance. Phew! :shock: A quick drink in local to celebrate my luck...pub closed for private function. A wake.:twisted: Oh well. Trying to cut back anyhow.
Back to van and it now starts. Thank you God! Drive 15 miles back to Margate...what a busy day. Out at 10am and home by 6pm....Open dront door to find radiator in hallway has sprung a massive leak....and yesterday l was chastising one of our dogs for pissing on the carpet in same spot. :oops: So sorry Charlie xx.
What a day!
Maxstu aka Stuart

"Blissfully happy in your presence. Otherwise I represent divine discontent."
Lt-Colonel Hilary Hook
maxstu

80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Another average day owning an auto VWT25?

Postby Sir Brixalot » 18 Jun 2018, 19:17

I know exactly how you feel. Had a few of those days myself
1989 Autosleeper Auto 1-9 DG with LPG conversion
Sir Brixalot

80-90 Mem No: 8927

Postby maxstu » 18 Jun 2018, 19:23

Sir Brixalot wrote:I know exactly how you feel. Had a few of those days myself

So l have read Sir Brixalot..and puts my day into perspective straight away. I do love the auto box. But it does very limit your repair by the road options
Three bottles of Spitfire later and life is very, very rosy...as my cheeks no doubt

:ok
Maxstu aka Stuart

Lt-Colonel Hilary Hook
maxstu

Postby R0B » 18 Jun 2018, 20:05

Sounds like if you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck at all. :cry:
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby petethefeet » 18 Jun 2018, 20:15

I had to say sorry to our old dog one morning after finding a puddle on the kitchen floor, cleared it up and took him for a walk, came back and found the puddle had reappeared from a leak in the ceiling. Sorry dog....
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian
petethefeet

80-90 Mem No: 12639

Postby maxstu » 18 Jun 2018, 20:25

R0B wrote:Sounds like if you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck at all. :cry:

Nah mate. Just one out of 365 days. But l could pen the ultimate monday blues VW T25s song perhaps. :lol:
Maxstu aka Stuart

Lt-Colonel Hilary Hook
maxstu

Postby maxstu » 18 Jun 2018, 20:28

petethefeet wrote:I had to say sorry to our old dog one morning after finding a puddle on the kitchen floor, cleared it up and took him for a walk, came back and found the puddle had reappeared from a leak in the ceiling. Sorry dog....

Just one of many reasons to have a dog. Especially for wind induced moments. :D
Maxstu aka Stuart

Lt-Colonel Hilary Hook
maxstu

Postby 300CE » 19 Jun 2018, 06:11

Blimey Stu, sounds like you’ve had a right old day of it mate - I reckon we’ve all had one of those days in some way shape or form, maybe we should start a ‘thread of woes’ and then someone could publish it!

Good that you’ve got the old girl back, post up some pics mate or let me know when your back up Sidcup way and pop in.
1986 VW Transporter Bitsa Conversion, 1.9 DG Watercooled, Weber Carb, 5 Speed Dogleg
300CE

80-90 Mem No: 12017

Postby Mr Bean » 19 Jun 2018, 10:26

Couldn't be classed as a T25 typical day but:
After a cracking boating weekend and thirty six miles from home on M1 at 17:00hrs Sunday past when:
Heater suddenly blows cold (Yes I know but Her Ladyship needs constant incubation ). So I glance at temp guage and it seems to have crept a bit to the right. Then within seconds red flashing light and cloud of steam (put the poo up me due to recent van fires ) and as I got out on the hard shoulder a big thump and the entire contents of the cooling system shot out from under the right hand side of the engine virtually all in one go.

Called (THAT FIRM) and was promised recovery at 17:55 for my T25 High Top camper and 16 foot boat on trailer - got the chap to repeat this to me in view of previous experience . 17:55 ETA not good but par for course I guess. Updated to 20:50 with apologies. Then at 21:15 received a call from the recovery driver to say he was going to take my van to a service area to see diagnose the problem - no mention of boat! No one told him about the boat and he said wasn't qualified/licenced to tow boat behind low loader type vehicle. After a series of heated conversations between (THAT FIRM) and contractor boat left coned but unlit on hard shoulder to be picked up on a second trip. Both van and boat eventually recovered to home address by another rig arriving home after midnight at 01:30hrs. I make that circa eight hours! I might be looking around at alternative recovery firms at renewal time...

In the event when I checked it out at home it was just the "S" shaped coolant hose from the rear of the offside cylinder head to the optional cabin heater thing. Split on the underside by the (probably over tightened) jubilee clip and proximity to exhaust pipe. Shame really as we had plenty of water in the on board tank and it being a T25, a full tool kit on board so I could have cut an inch off the pipe and refit the clip and temporarily filled with fresh water to creep home!
Last edited by Mr Bean on 19 Jun 2018, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Bean
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
88 Leisuredrive Hightop 2.1 WBX
Mr Bean

80-90 Mem No: 5485

Postby maxstu » 19 Jun 2018, 12:18

300CE wrote:Blimey Stu, sounds like you’ve had a right old day of it mate - I reckon we’ve all had one of those days in some way shape or form, maybe we should start a ‘thread of woes’ and then someone could publish it!

Good that you’ve got the old girl back, post up some pics mate or let me know when your back up Sidcup way and pop in.

Hi Justin,
Good to hear from a fellow Sidcupian. Just kicking back today and sorting leaky radiator

Tinkling sound relaxing me :ok
Maxstu aka Stuart

Lt-Colonel Hilary Hook
maxstu

Postby 300CE » 19 Jun 2018, 13:51

maxstu wrote:Tinkling sound relaxing me :ok

It'll probably make you want to head for the lav a lot more mate.
1986 VW Transporter Bitsa Conversion, 1.9 DG Watercooled, Weber Carb, 5 Speed Dogleg
300CE

Postby maxstu » 19 Jun 2018, 17:00

No need my friend! I wear incontinent pantaloons as portrayed by Billy Connolly on tv. If youre under thirty or no have recall of this fabulous sketch then youtube it. A true classic :D :D :D :lol: common and ride your pony..... :ok
Maxstu aka Stuart

Lt-Colonel Hilary Hook
maxstu

Postby Porkscratching » 20 Jun 2018, 12:26

Hi maxstu, I'll see you next month at Upton Blues Festival. You hum it, I'll play it and all T25 owners will sing it. I think we all know that words.

Regards, Max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 JX
Time is precious, waste it wisely.
Porkscratching

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby 300CE » 20 Jun 2018, 12:49

maxstu wrote:No need my friend! I wear incontinent pantaloons as portrayed by Billy Connolly on tv. If youre under thirty or no have recall of this fabulous sketch then youtube it. A true classic :D :D :D :lol: common and ride your pony..... :ok

:lol: :lol: :lol:
300CE

Postby maxstu » 20 Jun 2018, 19:18

Porkscratching wrote:Hi maxstu, I'll see you next month at Upton Blues Festival. You hum it, I'll play it and all T25 owners will sing it. I think we all know that words.

Regards, Max

Hi Max, with you all the way.....pisht....pisht ...pisht...l think the last few days has left me a bit do-lally-tat :rofl
Maxstu aka Stuart

Lt-Colonel Hilary Hook
maxstu

Next

Return to General Chat