The biggest cause of engine fires is?

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Re: The biggest cause of engine fires is?

Postby 937carrera » 24 Apr 2018, 11:11

... and that's why Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) is specified for in car systems in motorsport, half discharged into the engine compartment to put out the engine fire, half to the passenger compartment to protect the driver.

It replaced halon which was better at putting out fires, but as an oxygen scavenger wasn't so good for the driver and having been declared a CFC was banned due to the adverse effect on the upper atmosphere.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
937carrera

80-90 Mem No: 16333

Postby hightop ratty » 24 Apr 2018, 11:14

When I had the oil fire on the exhaust - got the Mrs & toddler out of the van (& by side of motorway safe), I rang the fire brigade (somebody else already had :-) - & I put the fire out with my toddlers squash (he wasn't happy at all - but needs must at the time :lol:
He was over the moon when the fire engine turned up 15 minutes later & a lift home in a huge recovery truck (3 hrs later - as they thought the van didn't have anyone in it !)

My fire extinguisher was out of arms reach (of my toddler :-) - & me :-(
It wouldn't have been any use anyway, as completely out of date & had gone solid :roll: - bought a pressurised pipe one the next day that fits underneath the engine cover :-)
hightop ratty

80-90 Mem No: 2717

Re: The biggest cause of engine fires is? = Oil leaks

Postby zzippyman » 25 May 2018, 14:46

Karen&co wrote:
Mocki wrote:the fact still remains, that with our vans, fuel lines are THE biggest cause of fire.....
well, lack of prevenative maintenance and inspection of fuel lines

I think this was the issue with our fire, we'll never know, but the fact that we had documented proof on the invoice that they and various other perishable bits had been replaced just weeks earlier, helped with the insurance pay out.

It was believed an electrical fault had caused my fire, but I'd done the same and kept all records and invoices for parts, work done etc., it certainly helped smooth the insurance claim process.
Albert, 1987 1.9l dg petrol T25 Hi-top
zzippyman

80-90 Mem No: 12294

Postby Dubworth » 28 May 2018, 21:03

I think what annoys me most about this, is modern vehicles have no issue. We don’t have to inspect fuel lines on them. Why do suppliers think it’s acceptable to sell us fuel line and tell us it’s our responsibility to inspect them regularly, and treat them like a annual consumable? I had this a couple of years back with ‘R9’ hose from Machine 7 and took them to point on it. The cynical side of me thinks it’s proftable to market fuel hose as annually renewable to the classic vw market...
For the record I run hose sourced from brickwerks on my van and have no complaints whatsoever so far.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF
Dubworth

80-90 Mem No: 16562

Postby Simon Baxter » 30 May 2018, 12:11

...wondered why we had so many requests for us to make fuel line kits up.
We'll get some on the shop ASAP.

Some worrying advice I keep seeing though, people are telling others to change fuel lines every year!
if you use proper hose you really won't have a problem, the stuff we sell is suitable for E100, you could run 100% Ethanol or 100% bio and the hose we use would be fine, it's overkill for the job.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'90 VW T3 BW Double Cab
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks
Simon Baxter
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1

Postby 937carrera » 30 May 2018, 12:51

Couldn't agree more, and it might be my fault. :)

Something I posted on another VW forum only 12 days ago in response to a comment about ethanol and replacing fuel hose every year.

Forgive me lumping the T25's in with the earlier Transporter

937carrera wrote:Not sure about replacing it every year - if the fuel hose is the right product, then it should take E85 or E100 and not need replacement.

Brickwerks only sell top notch products - here's their advice https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks-blog/fuel-hose-information-and-reassurances/ Type 2's have a propensity to combust, this is their market.

I bought Febi hose 5 years ago with no specification, because I know Febi is good stuff. Alternatively buy to spec from a respected supplier.
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine
937carrera

80-90 Mem No: 16333

Postby CovKid » 06 Jun 2018, 06:04

Changing them every year seems a bit overkill for sure, although checking lines annually important. I switched to high grade stuff after discovering a pinhole leak from the short hose between manual pump and carb about five years ago. The only hint I got was the smell of petrol emanating from rear vents. Took some finding. Fuel line is on my annual inspection now.
Roller paint your camper at home: https://tinyurl.com/y7723h29 for MP4 download.
CovKid
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 3529

Postby Mocki » 06 Jun 2018, 06:31

the fuel lines in the engine bay should be inspected more often than annually imho, i check mine monthly when i check the actual coolant level and pipes.
it costs nothing to visually inspect.......
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
Mocki
Membership Admin

80-90 Mem No: 428

Postby hightop ratty » 06 Jun 2018, 08:17

Simon Baxter wrote:...wondered why we had so many requests for us to make fuel line kits up.
We'll get some on the shop ASAP.

Some worrying advice I keep seeing though, people are telling others to change fuel lines every year!
if you use proper hose you really won't have a problem, the stuff we sell is suitable for E100, you could run 100% Ethanol or 100% bio and the hose we use would be fine, it's overkill for the job.

And that's why there's so much "BRICKWERKS LOVE" - you do it right every time - so we know where to come for great parts & peace of mind from a great little business :-)
hightop ratty

Postby R0B » 06 Jun 2018, 08:25

How much has Baxter paid you to say that? :)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby hightop ratty » 06 Jun 2018, 09:37

Ok - busted - a free pint of real ale at busfest a few years back (customer loyalty freebie), & a small sticker (proudly displayed in my T25 rear window) - even got their packing tape proudly displayed in my office :lol:

My "always go to" shop as so helpful & great parts & delivery / service - being a no nonsense small business is a real bonus as well (being a small business owner myself :-)

"WE LOVE BRICKWERKS" - "WE LOVE BRICKWERKS" - "YES WE DO" - "YES WE DO" - "KEEPS MY T25 running sweetly", & "The Mrs Happy" - "that's all they need to do" :lol:

(Other Vw parts shops are available :wink:
hightop ratty

Postby R0B » 06 Jun 2018, 12:09

Does the missus vist brickwerks a lot then. :-)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle
R0B

80-90 Mem No: 864

Postby hightop ratty » 06 Jun 2018, 12:41

LOL - only their website (or at least keeping me off it) :rofl

No issues on the camper = happy wife = happy life :lol:
She spends more time looking out of the passenger window looking for smoke out of the rear vents than enjoying the ride at the moment (still paranoid about our engine fire) - our toddler joins in which really doesn't help - & me convincing her that the lean running is just a teething problem (which it probabaly is) / and the random 34 yr old smells of a T25 is just dust in the heater / oily smells lingering from being in the garage for ages - some of them are true :rofl
hightop ratty

Postby captain Byrne » 11 Jun 2018, 10:05

This is interesting - from Bromyards Pierburg fitting instructions:

The DG engine has possibly the worst record for fire occurrence at the engine. A great deal is written on the checking and replacement of the fuel hoses and connections but unfortunately no-one has picked up on the actual trigger for the fires. Within the design, there are electrical items on the carburettor that require an earth path as a return. This path is via the 3 main studs from the manifold and the earth connection is made with nuts and the steel washers which, over time, rust and therefore reduce the effective clean earth path. This creates conditions for electrical sparks at the top of the carburettor.
Your carburettor has been sent to you with a brown or blue coloured earth connection lead attached to the front end of the unit. Please attach the remote end to the spare earth lug on the side of the Distributor ensuring that the connection is clean and tight. This then provides a separate earth return path for the carburettor.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.
captain Byrne

80-90 Mem No: 7107

Previous

Return to General Chat