SE dog food (meat) supplier needed

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

SE dog food (meat) supplier needed

Postby silverbullet » 30 Dec 2017, 11:10

Can anyone recommend a low-cost supplier of dog food mince/tripe in the south east uk?
I dont want "artisanal" hipster poncey dog food that costs more than some restaurants, think more along the lines of bulk ordered 1kg frozen slabs of pink marble.
We add cheap fruit & veg to the dogs meals ourselves, so we dont want "complete meal solutions" either, just the mystery meat.
Happy to consider heart and liver too (diced or whole), thats how we currently feed the dogs but its currently too expensive buying it at supermarket prices.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: SE dog food (meat) supplier needed

Postby weimarbus » 31 Dec 2017, 17:14

Do you have any independent butchers near you, we get chicken carcases from ours for £1 -£1.50 a kilo, they usually have a problem disposing of trade waste and are happy to discuss and supply. Got to worth a try.
1985 hi-top 2.1MV with DG carb and LPG
1955 trials buggy with 1.9 DG high lift cam and twin dell's
weimarbus

80-90 Mem No: 10165

Postby silverbullet » 31 Dec 2017, 20:54

Thats my next stop, local butcher in he village for beef and pork hearts. If I have a regular bulk order they are going to be more interested.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby lefty67 » 31 Dec 2017, 23:45

Try the nearest abbatoir, should be able to get cheap meat. One close to us even has it's own on site shop
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia
lefty67

80-90 Mem No: 11783

Postby kentishvanman » 08 Jan 2018, 13:37

May help, may not.
I fed our 2 dogs, Lab.× and Border Collie, all their lives with complete dry food. Never had health probs. and condition top notch. I used Oscar Pet Foods delivered to the door in 20kg sacks. Good value and easy preparation. What came out of their rear ends was not the wet/smelly stuff that a lot of dogs produce either. I sometimes mixed supermarket tinned food in their bowls but that was probably more for my benefit than theirs. Was originally put on to it by Dr Roger Mugford.
Would not hesitate too do the same again. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try.
kentishvanman

80-90 Mem No: 875

Postby silverbullet » 08 Jan 2018, 15:59

We used to buy from Oscar's but our Lab developed an intolerance to cereal at around 7 years (skin rash on chest, hair falling out in clumps), so we tried both on the BARF diet. His symptoms were gone in 4 weeks. We have stuck with it the last 5 years.

silverbullet
Trader

Postby Porkscratching » 08 Jan 2018, 17:07

I used to feed Dubdog complete dry food (James Wellbeloved) and like kentishvanman would add leftovers. By far the cheapest supplier was Zooplus. Excellent service and they do wet food as well. Those may be a bit poncey for you but worth a look.

Regards, Max formally Dubdog&max
1990 Westy HiTop 1.6 tdi . * Porkscratching: formerly known as dubdog&max.
Porkscratching

80-90 Mem No: 0

Postby Oldiebut goodie » 08 Jan 2018, 19:08

kentishvanman wrote:May help, may not.
I fed our 2 dogs, Lab.× and Border Collie, all their lives with complete dry food. Never had health probs. and condition top notch. I used Oscar Pet Foods delivered to the door in 20kg sacks. Good value and easy preparation. What came out of their rear ends was not the wet/smelly stuff that a lot of dogs produce either. I sometimes mixed supermarket tinned food in their bowls but that was probably more for my benefit than theirs. Was originally put on to it by Dr Roger Mugford.
Would not hesitate too do the same again. You have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

^^^^^ WHS especially the rear end.
I use/have used Skinners Field and Trial products for all my Border Collies - currently the Muesli one. They do a hypoallergenic version in this and also in the Life range:
Life Sensitive
Suitable for
Adult

A Hypoallergenic Food Suitable For Adult Dogs With Sensitivities Or Allergies.

Skinner’s Life Sensitive Is Free From Wheat, Maize, Barley, Soya And Dairy Products. Contains Enhanced Levels Of Glucosamine And Chondroitin To Help Protect The Joints Of Your Dog And Our Unique Herb Blend Containing Herbs Known For Their Beneficial Properties.
1Y 1.9d 1987 Hi-top Caravelle
508d Merc ex-bus
Oldiebut goodie

80-90 Mem No: 11135

Return to General Chat