Back in fashion?

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Re: Back in fashion?

Postby itchyfeet » 18 Dec 2017, 12:50

philmcC wrote:Don't find Facebook very user-friendly maybe a generationl thing I really appreciate and enjoy this forum. However it has led me down some dangerous paths. I have just bought a 1.9 DG engine from eBay as a project. I have a past history of taking on hopeless cases of a mechanical nature, so I hope this is going to be okay!. Plenty on the forum to keep me right.philmcC

What's the worst that can happen?
rebuild thread needed :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby Born Too Late » 18 Dec 2017, 17:35

I heard on the news this morning that one of the founders of face book believes social media is ripping apart the fabric of society, and he helped create the thing! It sounds like a Daily Mail headline but it was on radio 4 so must be true.

I can't say I completely agree with him but then I'm also not a massive fan of face book etc. I keep track of a few of the T25/T3 groups but I wouldn't trust a lot of the advice on there (unless it's from one of our members). Face book is great for showing pics of your van on "side view Saturday" etc but not so much for informed opinion!

I may not post that often on here (when I do it's mainly for help!) but I log in almost every day to have a read and nothing else like the wiki exists that I'm aware of :)
Ziggy Starbus-1988 Autosleeper high top 2.1 injection
Lola-1977 Triumph Spitfire
Born Too Late

80-90 Mem No: 14236

Postby kevtherev » 18 Dec 2017, 18:10

I hope that folks see sense.
Here on the forum I believe you can learn stuff with a more measured approach.
Facebook just overloads itself with information that is not only misinterpreted but lost within a week
2.1 DJ on pierburg + LPG
kevtherev

80-90 Mem No: 2264

Postby Jim San » 18 Dec 2017, 20:55

Facebook has so much more potential, it'll grow in many ways. It is able to quickly adapt and it gives the majority of people largely what they want - which is currently pretty shallow and meaningless.

I'm a big fan of some forums but they can become petty just as FB can. They are very different beasts but unfortunately for the die hard forum fans its purely a matter of time until they are yesterdays news - unless something radical happens like they become a little more swish.

Forums are more comfortable and logical and content focussed. FB is multistream and endless - which is why it is so disruptive and consuming, It is endless, keep scrolling down, keep scrolling!! A book, newspaper even a forum has little pauses or breaks which prompt you to decide to continue or not.
1991 Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi Passat 1Z Landy fuel pump 215/70/16

Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
Jim San

80-90 Mem No: 13133

Postby AngeloEvs » 18 Dec 2017, 21:44

I prefer the forum. I have a facebook page - useful for birthday reminders and the odd message but I am not a regular user.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior
AngeloEvs

80-90 Mem No: 4709

Postby Plasticman » 19 Dec 2017, 09:01

fb is monitored end off, but with reference to the slimming of content on here ,well in my case its peebucket being as it is, my threads are picky heavy and whilst i enjoy posting them im finding it hard to grasp another hoisting site, boatbuilders soloution works but i dont have the patience/willpower to go down that route so am a bit stuck
mm
Plasticman
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 1948

Postby NicBeeee » 19 Dec 2017, 09:08

Plasticman wrote:fb is monitored end off, but with reference to the slimming of content on here ,well in my case its peebucket being as it is, my threads are picky heavy and whilst i enjoy posting them im finding it hard to grasp another hoisting site, boatbuilders soloution works but i dont have the patience/willpower to go down that route so am a bit stuck
mm
I use Tapatalk, just transfer pics straight from your phone. Even I can manage it so it must be simple.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG
NicBeeee

80-90 Mem No: 8608

Postby itchyfeet » 19 Dec 2017, 09:13

Plasticman wrote:fb is monitored end off, but with reference to the slimming of content on here ,well in my case its peebucket being as it is, my threads are picky heavy and whilst i enjoy posting them im finding it hard to grasp another hoisting site, boatbuilders soloution works but i dont have the patience/willpower to go down that route so am a bit stuck
mm

Flickr is quick and easy, I wonder why I ever bothered with peebucket.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

Postby ermie571 » 19 Dec 2017, 11:36

I do both. I'm a heavy FB user...but for drivel mainly and an admin on the GTi page

I use the wiki when I want to know the right answer :rofl

I search the forum when I remember reading something....

FB is searchable within groups....but the search isn't fab and you still have to filter the pants from the not so pants...

Em
xx
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle LPG / DG carb
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG
ermie571

80-90 Mem No: 2129

Postby Moonrakers » 20 Dec 2017, 01:59

R0B wrote:It's fallen off on here because of Farcebook IMO.The brickyard seems to of had more quiters that us.Very sad.:-(

Rob, there was an article in one of the classic car mags this mont about this issue. Facebook is having a significant impact on traffic across the whole gamut of enthusiast forums, especially those dedicated to vehicles of all types. The writer expressed concern that while Facebook offers such ease-of-use, instant responses and seamless image uploading (which is a real weakness on traditional forums as we all know), there is a fatal flaw - the information posted on a Facebook page, even when very useful and accurate, is quickly buried and soon becomes unsearchable, unlike the precious archives that a site like this can produce over the years. He went on to encourage the readers to keep using the old-school forums or risk losing the main advantage of the internet for enthusiasts... not social interaction, tedious banter, 'likes' or endless pictures, but excellent helpful information and shared experience.

I quit Facebook years ago and never go back but I am worried that the internet is becoming, paradoxically, less useful as it grows bigger, with more and more traffic becoming concentrated on fewer highly commercial sites. It's a real shame, we'll have to hope that younger enthusiasts don't all become brainwashed into supporting the huge corporations at the expense of finding the 'real' internet.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed
Moonrakers

80-90 Mem No: 13705

Postby Moonrakers » 20 Dec 2017, 02:03

R0B wrote:It's fallen off on here because of Farcebook IMO.The brickyard seems to of had more quiters that us.Very sad.:-(

Rob, there was an article in one of the classic car mags this mont about this issue. Facebook is having a significant impact on traffic across the whole gamut of enthusiast forums, especially those dedicated to vehicles of all types. The writer expressed concern that while Facebook offers such ease-of-use, instant responses and seamless image uploading (which is a real weakness on traditional forums as we all know), there is a fatal flaw - the information posted on a Facebook page, even when very useful and accurate, is quickly buried and soon becomes unsearchable, unlike the precious archives that a site like this can produce over the years. He went on to encourage the readers to keep using the old-school forums or risk losing the main advantage of the internet for enthusiasts... not social interaction, tedious banter, 'likes' or endless pictures, but excellent helpful information and shared experience.

I quit Facebook years ago and never go back but I am worried that the internet is becoming, paradoxically, less useful as it grows bigger, with more and more traffic becoming concentrated on fewer highly commercial sites. It's a real shame, we'll have to hope that younger enthusiasts don't all become brainwashed into supporting the huge corporations at the expense of finding the 'real' internet.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed
Moonrakers

80-90 Mem No: 13705

Postby itchyfeet » 20 Dec 2017, 07:24

Moonrakers wrote: I am worried that the internet is becoming, paradoxically, less useful as it grows bigger, with more and more traffic becoming concentrated on fewer highly commercial sites. .

the internet would have long since been useless without powerful search engines like google, anybody who can remember using the internet early on would know it soon became unusable without search engines.

Thats Facebooks problem, it wont allow search engines inside.

I often use google to find stuff on here its quicker and finds stuff this search engine cant.

I would not want to go back, I was brought up with encyclopdia britannica and its just not the same.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

Postby itchyfeet » 20 Dec 2017, 07:32

I only joined Facebook this year, I deliberately have no friends and no home page other than a couple of VW pics to get me into groups.

I joined a handful of VW groups and thats it, it gives me parts for sale and the ability to get a more global view,.

My news feed is those VW groups only.

All of you that hate fb just delete your friends, delete your hopepage details and enjoy the handful of good VW groups.

If you think the info is wrong you really should give the right answer, the others can decide who is right, if I ask a question and get two different answers its better than just one wrong answer from two people, at least I have doubt and can do more research.

8090 is the worst of them all for people selling knitted wolly hats and keyrings, I want good used parts.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks
itchyfeet

Postby Aidan » 20 Dec 2017, 07:53

wolly hats and keyrings

I think you mean wally hats :lol:
AIDAN - Full Gearbox Rebuilds for watercooled 2wd and Syncro
01691 648011; info@aidantalbot.com
Aidan
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 742

Postby captain Byrne » 20 Dec 2017, 08:31

Aidan wrote:
wolly hats and keyrings

I think you mean wally hats :lol:

I think you mean willy hats.
1983 LHD Westfalia poptop 1.9 DG petrol.
captain Byrne

80-90 Mem No: 7107

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat