Your Worst DIY Mistake

This is a general chat forum, you must register to post.

Moderators: Moderators, User administrators

Forum rules
Please remember that this is a family forum - do not post 'adult' content. Full forum rules here.

Re: Your Worst DIY Mistake

Postby moggymorgan » 14 Sep 2017, 07:37

rebuilt the engine on a triumph thunderbird.it would not start so i went to the workbench for a feeler gauge and spotted four push rods laughing at me tank off head off rods in and it started, :oops:
john & jenny
1979, cu devon.
moggymorgan

80-90 Mem No: 7655

Postby AllTheGear_NoIdea » 14 Sep 2017, 09:46

Whilst lying under the van to change the blue temp sensor on the thermostat housing, I had the new sensor already in my other hand to quickly swap over with the old one I was about to pull out, but in my haste to replace with new didn’t realise the old O ring was still in the housing so the new sensor wouldn’t go in and stop the coolant pouring out all over my face and shoulders! :cry:
1988 T25 Caravelle 2.1 fuel injected Auto

1978 Baywindow 2.0 Twin Webers 40IDFs
AllTheGear_NoIdea

80-90 Mem No: 16092

Postby jamesakers » 14 Sep 2017, 11:00

^ So similar to my oil change fail last week.

I drained the oil, took the old oil filter off, put the new one on, hand tightened and refitted the sump plug. Filled it up to the right level and not a drop was spilt, very pleased. Turned the engine on and I could hear a squirting noise, looked under the van and oil was pouring out of the oil filter all over the floor. Quickly turned the engine off and chucked sawdust underneath to soak it up.

Turns out the o-ring from the old oil filter was still there. Had to re-do the whole process. Wasted 4 litres of oil and a lot of mopping up. :oops:
Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/
jamesakers

80-90 Mem No: 14421

Postby ELVIS » 14 Sep 2017, 11:16

Pure buffoonery on my part by not looking at what I was doing........

50l oil catch tank- cylinder on wheels with extending funnel that goes under vans on lift for oil changes.

Once it's full you shut off valve where oil drains into tank, wheel it outside, connect to airline run off big FO screw compressor, pressurise tank, drop the hose that comes out of bottom into 45gallin drum, open hose valve, pressure pumps oil from catch tank into drum. Simples.

Now......

If you do all the above but don't concentrate you actually open the valve where the oil enters the drum and blow used engine oil 15ft into the air and receive a not so golden shower.

I switch on more now !
ELVIS

80-90 Mem No: 3111

Postby peteandnero » 14 Sep 2017, 11:36

I was doing underseal with a schutz gun and 1 litre of warmed Dinitrol. I still never got to the bottom of it but the compressor pressure was far too high, I was re-using the tin and I guess this combined with a block in the gun. I blew the can open and the fountain landed all over me, the drive and the van. Particularly the textured finish of the poptop. Believe these people when they say underseal is tenacious and resistant to most things. It only came off properly when I sanded it down to respray.

On my old Devon Moonraker with the full length pop top, I'd never got round to fixing the roof fasteners as one was still working. We were driving over the Forth Road Bridge in typical East of Scotland winds and my partner opened the window to light a fag. The roof went up like an accordion (and the lane discipline went to pot). She was hanging off the ceiling handles with the roof still staying up before I worked out we had to close the window to get the thing down.
1989 Westafalia Joker 1.9 TDI (MVE Conversion)
peteandnero

80-90 Mem No: 7023

Postby syncropatrick » 14 Sep 2017, 13:01

32 years ago I did my first clutch swap - popped the new clutch in back-to-front, didn't realise, couldn't make it work, got disheartened and walked away from it for 4 weeks. Parents got fed up with my car blocking their garage so paid for garage to tow it away and make it right.

32 years on I try my second clutch swap. Still smarting from previous experience I carefully removed old clutch, and very carefully put the replacement clutch in making sure it was right way round. Only when mating engine to gearbox did I realise I'd only replaced the old clutch with itself - the new clutch was happily sitting in its box.

I'm not sure there will be a third clutch swap!
WANTED: A T25 double glazed plastic window, in any condition.
syncropatrick

80-90 Mem No: 5294

Postby itchyfeet » 14 Sep 2017, 18:00

They say if you never made a mistake you probably never made anything
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchyfeet

80-90 Mem No: 12733

Postby silverbullet » 14 Sep 2017, 18:45

Years ago when I was i to Rover P6's, I went down to the New Forest to buy some bits off a bloke.
He was a bit of a hoarder and didnt want much for the stuff, so I filled my boots.
Amongst the haul was a rare V8 manual pedal box, but I needed to cut a small bracket off the bulkhead, right in one back corner of the engine bay.
Thankfully a previous customer had pulled the engine and box, so I could climb in there with the angle grinder, no problem.
The oil and fuel that had been spilled by said engine extraction took a little while to catch alight, in fact I had cut the bracket off and climbed out before the flames really started and then ignited the car's underseal...
The chap didnt have a fire extinguisher and it felt like an eternity as I threw handfuls of dirt and gravel at the flames before the fire brigade arrived, who then took a rather leisurely approach "nothing to worry about, fuel tanks never explode like in the films, they just go pop as they rupture, if at all"

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

Postby Citizen Smith » 14 Sep 2017, 18:46

OK since some of us are starting to sound like right plonkers, :rofl
I am prepared to admit that I:

Sprayed our wrought iron style garden fence with white Woolworth's Household Enamel only to be informed by my next door neighbour next morning that his dark blue saloon car was covered in a myriad of white spots :shock: . It took a whole day to get off involving White Spirit, washing up liquid and car polish together with much elbow grease to get the car back to normal.
Never was so much paid to so many for doing so little - CS 1941- ?

2.1 WBX High Top
Citizen Smith

80-90 Mem No: 5485

Postby Jimaroid » 14 Sep 2017, 19:10

I owned a '93 (Mk1) Mazda MX-5 for over 10 years and eventually one of the pop-up headlights started failing to lift. Did nearly everything to that car myself so when it came to a "simple" known fault like that I went in expecting a simple relay replacement.

It's usually caused by a fault in one of two relays. Either one in the dashboard or one buried within the steering column mounted lighting controls. Hoping it was a fault in the easier to reach one, I pulled the dashboard cover off, tested the relay and it worked fine. So I had a bit of a sulk about having to tackle the trickier relay and starting dismantling the steering column. After a bit of swearing at it I figure out that I need to take the steering wheel off to get the necessary plastic out of the way so I grabbed a ring spanner and braced myself to undo the the f-tight column nut. The spanner then slipped clean off the nut, flings out my grip and smashes the windscreen.

Big swear, big sigh and then I put everything back together and phone the insurance and the local garage.
1983 1.9L DG
Jimaroid

80-90 Mem No: 16051

Postby itchyfeet » 14 Sep 2017, 20:22

I know this should be aboutT25 vans but it seems to be expanding so if all DIY mistakes are fair game......

Defrosting a fridge at work got impatient and took a screwdriver to it, burst the pipe and got sprayed in the face by the coolant,( thankfully wearing glasses) at that moment the fire alarms went off and all 200 people were evacuated :oops:

Screwing floorboards down at home with a battery drill, after a few hundred screws got tired slipped off the screw and bored the screwdriver bit through my finger......aghhhhhhhh
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchyfeet

Postby jamesakers » 14 Sep 2017, 20:32

^ Urgggh! Did you have a hole?

Back when I was in college I was cutting mount board with a scalpel to frame a picture. I was arguing with my then girlfriend and I turned to argue my point while continuing to make a cut.

Sliced the tip off my index finger.
Sir Adventure - 1991 Autosleeper Trooper 1.9DG Petrol
https://vwt25.blog/
jamesakers

80-90 Mem No: 14421

Postby marlinowner » 14 Sep 2017, 20:36

I once had a rather tired Porsche 944, minor problem with the heater fan not working - I suspected a problem with the climate control electronics so wired the motor directly to the switch.
Next day turned the fan on, smoke started pouring through the vents. Shortly afterwards I was standing well back waiting for the fire brigade and watching the lights flash randomly on the car as the wiring melted. No explosion though.
Having the diff seize solid at speed in my kit car after I drained the oil and forgot to refill it was minor in comparison.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine
marlinowner

80-90 Mem No: 13646

Postby itchyfeet » 14 Sep 2017, 20:39

jamesakers wrote:^ Urgggh! Did you have a hole?

Yep a screw driver bit makes a very good drill through flesh, half way through.
I'm much more careful now

Not me but a college at work driled ight through his palm with a battery drill....plonker
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchyfeet

Postby silverbullet » 14 Sep 2017, 21:12

Glancing blow from a 16mm spade bit in a drill while building a book case (clearance for radiator pipes)
To the base of my thumb. Somehow missed both tendons on back of hand and a vein, but do have a nice scar and a small numb patch...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
'85 syncro 'velle resto, '90 SA Microbus project, '95 SA Microbus 2.6i

http://www.025motorsport.com
silverbullet
Trader

80-90 Mem No: 6908

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat