Industrial carpet

The Tardis factor (interiors, awnings, roofs etc)

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Industrial carpet

Post by meggles »

I tried to buy a carpet set off flea bay. I got beat at the end of the auction. I contacted the seller trying to buy a set at a fixed price. (He's a trader). His reply was less than useful. Anyway, I have decided to make my own. However I need to buy some heavy duty industrial carpet. I only want to carpet the cab area. Anybody know where I can buy a small amount of industrial grade carpet. Would prefer rubber backed in black but dark grey would suffice. Thanks folks

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Industrial carpet

Post by Aidan »

your local cheap carpet shop will have off cuts of all sorts of carpet remnants including hd types, when I lived in Warrington the shop in Birchwood Mall was great but I think they left when the rents got hiked by the owners who wanted to go upmarket; in a relatively poor area of Warrington in a shopping centre with an ASDA ffs
there will be somewhere like it in York I am sure

Drucifer
80-90 Mem No: 13154

Post by Drucifer »

Just google for a local carpet supplier, we have a few that do offices etc round here and often throw out the sizes that could use in the van, if they are open when I finish work I will see if they got anything. Failing that will ask my boy if they have any offcuts from one the vans they are doing.
'89 Reimo High Top conversion now with added GTI

meggles

Post by meggles »

Thanks you two. I'm not being lazy, I've rung around carpet shops and nobody has anything. Annoyingly my son used to have a carpet shop!

ash1293
80-90 Mem No: 16013

Post by ash1293 »

I've done a couple of carpet/heavy mat sets in the past and will probably look into doing the same again for the new van.

You can often get a roll of cheapish car/van grade carpet for next to nowt, paying a little more gets a nicer feel. Trouble is it still feels thin and flimsy.
The trick is to get some heavy duty thick rubberised underlay, not the horrible stuff that disintegrates. You then make your mat out of this material, rubber side down. Once you have a good fitting mat (leave it a few mm's small) you want to stick your carpet to this using a quality contact adhesive. Its then just a case of trimming the carpet down leaving enough to fold over the edges to give a neater finish. The folds can be clamped between two bits of wood while you wait for adhesive to go off.
1990 1.9DG 34DAT carb Leisuredrive hightop

meggles

Post by meggles »

Sounds like you want to do the job Ash. :wink:

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

meggles wrote:Sounds like you want to do the job Ash. :wink:

........ Now how did the gearbox out story go again.

But seriously its quite easy to do. While ideally you want on piece of underlay it could be done in three as once carpet is stuck it will sit ok. That way you just want to put a wanted out on freecycle for offcuts of underlay. - be picky though as you want decent stuff.

I'll have to have a look but I may have some spare black carpet as we are probably going to go with grey when we get to that stage.

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

You would be better off if the original vw moulded rubber floor mat was retained as an underlay, then you have a level surface to carpet. I have just got some dark ish grey rubber backed car carpet from coverdale, may have a few meters i could sell.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

meggles

Post by meggles »

Think I'm sorted now but thanks anyway folkso
btw, I am using original rubber mat as underlay.

meggles

Post by meggles »

YES!!! Sorted. I just won some carpet on fleabay. Tailored to fit a T25! Got it cheaper than the other stuff I bid on too. Result! Looks like I'll make Redcar after all. :lol:

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

meggles wrote:YES!!! Sorted. I just won some carpet on fleabay. Tailored to fit a T25! Got it cheaper than the other stuff I bid on too. Result! Looks like I'll make Redcar after all. :lol:

If its the set I think its a good job I forgot to bid on it :wink:

Let me know if its any good as the guy has listed another set to end next week.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Will do Ash. I brought van to yours this morning. You were out
I had the thermostat housing I said you could have.

ash1293

Post by ash1293 »

meggles wrote:Will do Ash. I brought van to yours this morning. You were out
I had the thermostat housing I said you could have.

Ah.... I was out at car boot early on then up to upullit for a couple of window rubbers from a 206. Traffic was a nightmare due to road resurfacing so took ages getting back.
Off this week so hopefully heading away with van on its first proper outing.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

meggles wrote:YES!!! Sorted. I just won some carpet on fleabay. Tailored to fit a T25! Got it cheaper than the other stuff I bid on too. Result! Looks like I'll make Redcar after all. :lol:

Hi Meggles. I need some carpet as well. Was it a one of or does the seller have more?
Honorary "Dave" 

meggles

Post by meggles »

Sir Brixalot wrote:

Hi Meggles. I need some carpet as well. Was it a one of or does the seller have more?

I had to bid on an auction. . If you hold fire it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday and I'll tell you how good or bad it is.
Last edited by meggles on 05 Jul 2017, 20:27, edited 2 times in total.